A Few Questions About Amazon Lumberyard

Hi,

This is my First Post here but I have been following This Engine for quite a while and I really want to switch to it After my graduation, but there are some things that aren’t clear and can make or break a deal for me.

First of all my background is in Unreal Engine 4 and I have used both C++ and Blueprints extensively And I am happy with it expect the C++ Compile time for UE4 are awful, This led me to try Cryengine and I was surprised that how quick it’s C++ Logic Compiled now I know this engine Was based on Cryengine 3 and has changed alot but Can I find the same fast C++ Compile Times Here as well?

What about Multiplayer Framework? Does this Engine has one out of box like Cry And UE4? like Server-Client, Replication Properties etc.

The At last, this doesn’t apply to me directly but to artists that I plan to bring with me, Amazon Has Vegetation bending out of box but What is the pipe line for our custom assets to be able to work with Vegetation bending?

That is all for now. We Plan to make A Multiplayer Third Person Game and I have checked The Animation Tutorials they are similar to those in UE4 which is a huge plus, Our main issue is C++ compile times, Documentation, Multiplayer Framework if it exists?, Asset pipeline guide.

I cannot answer all your questions, you will need someone for a few, but I do know that for vegetation bending you can use a few ways, one which is the most simple is add your assets for example a tree to the vegetation painter, and paint the trees on the terrain, then just turn up the bending for the tree to get a wind look, this works with all assets put in the vegetation painter, this is an old method though, because LY has added there new vegetation tools that work very nicely, but for this system I cannot find a nice way to get vegetation bending working. Out of the box this engine has a lot, and one of those things is multiplayer, you cannot have any third parties host, but if you are using gamelift to launch multiplayer you can set up multiplayer within a day or two with a few helpful tutorials, and it works flawlessly with LY due to being fully integrated. For your other question I am not a cpp programmer, so you will need someone for this one. Sorry I do not have an answer for you. Hope what I have to say helps :+1:

What If its a Tree we made? Isn’t there any specific way Plants and Trees should be exported from a 3D modeling software for them to be compatible with vegetation bending? I was under the impression that we might need to rig trees and plants as a skeletal Mesh in order for vegetation bending to work, Upon further searching I found Shaders are used for these kind of things And We might need to have some proper way of creating Materials or Model in order for it to work with Engine’s vegetation bending.

It’s vertex coloring if I remember correctly. The bone rigging is for touch bending.

LY’s multiplayer framework is far more flexible and powerful that UE4 variation and without codegen in C++. So yeah I would highly recommend it.

Author of “Game Programming with Amazon Lumberyard”

That’s Really good to hear, That leaves only one question the Compile times for C++, I know C++ isn’t C# and is compiled in a different way so it takes time no matter what, but still I found Cryengine’s Compile time 90% better than of UE4’s (Cryengine for me takes about 5-10 sec but requires engine restart). How LY hold up in that race?

I need to have faster iteration times, I can use Script Canvas for a lot of game logic (since I don’t aim to do a lot of Backend stuff) but I suppose for Multiplayer I would need C++ anyway. Even in UE4 I like to keep all the Base Classes C++ and make Blueprints from them.

The iterations times in WAF can be fast if you are have a fast SSD and a decent CPU. I’ve had about 10-15 seconds per small iterations. But we are always working to improve them.

Very few things beat scripting iteration speeds, though. LY can actually reload your scripts changes in UI while the game is running.