Amazon Lumberyard Needs To Do The Following In Order To Survive

Amazon Lumberyard is an indie’s dream come true. Thing is… so is Blender.

Indie game developer’s largely largely largely did I say largely rely on blender to do just about everything in the world. Many indie dev’s will make most of their game in the visual and animation aspect right inside of blender. Thing is just like with cry engine blender is not supported and instead they buckle down to Maya and 3DSmax which is an insane thing for an indie dev to pay for.

This is why Cry Engine has failed so many that wanted to use it. Blender needs to be supported in all walks of life. Let it be known that the very definition of Amazon Lumberyard being a success hinges on how well Lumberyard works with Blender. You must support Blender in every single way possible within Amazon Lumberyard. You MUST.

The UI and usability needs some more work. Such as having a 1st person, 3rd person and so on character controller/prefab. Also needs 2d support. Just like Unity and Unreal Engine 4 has these things as you start the editor or level. You must make it simple to use these things as it is what most game developer’s rely on to be there and is considered basic. Coding is something not many wish to do. Especially for something like first person view. Ever hear the terminology called K.I.S.S.? It means keep it simple stupid. It is exactly what Lumberyard needs to be.

But the main point I’m trying to get across to the people of Amazon Lumberyard is support exporting and importing to Blender. It is key to the very success of Amazon Lumberyard and the indie devs creating for it. - Craigheadprohd

@Craigheadpro

In regards to Blender and the asset pipeline:

https://forums.awsgametech.com/t/fbx-importer/329/1

“Coding is something not many wish to do.”

At some point you’re going to need to write code in order to integrate something unique into your game… there is no magic button in game development. Eventually you will need to either attract developers to your project or learn C++ yourself.

I removed Lumberyard today, I tried to create a new project, and I did through tutorial, and every-time failed to load, also project-management
is very tedious for me, project inside installation directory and this
is a restriction, compiling the project and long compiling shaders and assets really bothering me, so I did not waste my time anymore, however the editor and performance is good. in my opinion project creation should be similar to Unreal Engine, easy and very fast, so I will wait to see how Lumberyard will progress.

Hi Craig! Thanks for popping in to the forums - your streams have been fun to keep in the background and it’s great to see you have so much feedback for Lumberyard.

You’ll be happy to hear we announced Blender support a few days days post launch - it was immediately clear this was an important feature for our developer community and it’s being prioritized accordingly. There’s a comprehensive post on our news page that includes a lot of the great work our team is prioritizing: https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/gamedev/whats-next-for-lumberyard/

Please keep in mind that we are in beta, which means your feedback is incredibly important for how we shape the future of Lumberyard. It also means that we’re absolutely still working on features we see as crucial (and we know you do too.) We appreciate your patience and your input!

+1 for blender support.

I was really excited to finally start learning Lumberyard today and then really disappointed to see that fbx only supports static meshes at the moment and no native blender support. There’s no way I’d ever pay for an Autodesk product as long as I have Blender - which does modeling way better than maya imho.
I’ve been using javascript for years and had no issue learning C# for Unity. I’m not worried about learning C++ for lumberyard either.
Here’s the thing, my favorite features of Unity is native blender support with live asset updates. <- THAT RIGHT THERE is a huge time saver and the reason I’ll hold off on evaluating Lumberyard until it can do the same.

P.S. kudos for working to enhance the fbx importer but Unity’s live native asset updates are just too sweet to give up. Their asset pipeline is what every engine should be trying to achieve. Not just for blender files but Photoshop files too. And if you support 2D then Illustrator files as well. Being able to cut out the headache of exporting after each iteration and manage storing all those exported files is what is keeping me tied to Unity for now.

Absolutely!

.fbx import is okay, but Unity’s native Blender support really is a killer pipeline for indie users and I think is going to hold a lot of people back from jumping in.

And now you can do this in Cryengine:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUDWb1CMETE

Come one guy I know you can do it.

IMHO, Amazon should focus on revamping the Asset Pipeline and Build system. I’m a Cry/Lua guy, but I’ve never liked some stuff in CryEngine, in particular the Art Pipeline and the Waf system. Neither people who worked with me in some projects. Since they found it too cumbersome, I had to learn to deal with Unity and Unreal anyway.

As a small Startup, I feel the same pain as Indie Devs.

I want to import art as quickly as possible, do many builds per day and ship it ASAP. Focus on code, not mesh tinkering or spending hours on build files.

As a huge AWS supporter and enthusiast, I’m sticking with Lumberyard since day one. Sure, the ride is not as smooth as we did with Unity or Unreal, but I’m sure it will pay off.

There are great minds at AWS, soon enough, all the annoyances will be solved and innovative new systems put in place, I see Lumberyard becoming the indie standard. And the only Engine you’ll ever need.