Asking for opinions about how Lumberyard should relate to Cryengine V development

Being based on the same “ancestor” Lumberyard and Cryengine V at this point in time still have lot in common and even if they are diverging many dev choices has gone in the same direction(es. both are focusing on entity components and deprecating the legacy entity system)Both focused on qt widgets leaving mfc.

It could be a series of coincidences, but the main impression is that both tends to not going very far away to each other apart from some notable differences(aws, scaleform, c# etc).

Roadmap of cryengine is public and from a very fast read it seems that many things that is going to get done in Lumberyard are also in the working for cryengine.

There is lot in common but still some notable differences and I wanted to create a thread to discuss about all these differences and similarities hoping to get interesting point of view on where Lumberyard should converge with Cryengine and where it should totally diverge from it.

Some directions of Cryengine

• it is integrating Nvidia Physix(motivations?).

• it has switched from WAF to CMAKE build system(widely used).

• it is deprecating the old render pipeline(i imagine to cope with new apis needs (dx12/Vulkan) and multithreading in general.

• Mfc isolated in plugins(I imagine to make it go away completely soon).

• All Editors use Asset Browser(+thumbnail and tagging system)(asset browser in both engines is quite embrional)

• Texture import from any image format, deprecate crytiff / PS plugins(

• AI is moving in a interesting direction.
    Cryengine Animation improvements are quite juicy

• Cleanup handling of intermediate formats

• Hot Reload(lumberyard just support this?!?)

• IMG/DBA Refactoring

• Remove Skeleton List

• Animation Re-targeting

• Biped Runtime Rigging

• Runtime Rigging (Deformation rig, componentization)
  • Pose Space Deformation (Muscle Simulation)

• Animation Mirroring

• Unify CGA with CHR

• Procedural/Physically Based Animation

• Integrate “Blood” Decals

• Wrinkle Maps (from Ryse)

• CDF Loader Cleanup (Fat/Thin skin support)

• Mannequin extraction from CryAction

• Splitting up AnimEvents file (separate audio events) or some other way for collaborative work.

• It can actually assign physics to characters in editor (add meshes and set constraints).
    I didn’t reported all the renderer things as personally are out of my interests as both engines are really capable to run more graphic than I can produce.

We need a public Roadmap for Lumberyard (for engine and tool development, as well as Tutorials/Documentation development). The Roadmap for cryengine is currently public and it’s very easy to see what is currently being worked on, and the direction that CryEngine is headed. It’s very difficult to see (or even predict) where or what is going on with Lumberyard. I really like the “concept” of Lumberyard (with added AWS, updated netcode and Twitch support), but we need a “Public Roadmap” (with monthly releases) for Lumberyard to see where Lumberyard is currently headed.

Many of the things that CryEngine has done (and is currently working on) for CryEngine V is extremely interesting, and hopefully these same features will make their way into Lumberyard.

Another area that I’m concerned with (that CryEngine is terrible at doing) is Tutorials, Documentation, and sample games/assets (and weekly videos) like Unreal Engine’s weekly twitch tutorial videos.

Openness and Community Management definitely “make or break” a game engine’s success. Games can “easily” be created in Unreal Engine, and Unity (they both have extremely good resources, tutorials, source code, demo games/assets, and very large communities that develop assets/tools/code/samples that you can use in your own game.

It is extremely easy to find “volunteer talent” (interns/students) and “community assets” to help with the development of a Unity or UE4 game. These engines are very easy to “learn” and “start” development with. Weekly YouTube and twitch tutorial videos are also very nice.

We need “turn-key” AAA-Game Tutorials and Game Samples (that users can download, and are FULL AAA-games with assets, code samples, vehicles, etc.) along with accompanying YouTube videos/tutorials from Amazon and the Lumberyard Community on how to create (and modify/use) content from the Sample packs/games for Lumberyard.

Unity and UE4 are the best at this sort of “community” and therefore are the most popular choices for game development. There is a wide range of books, classes and community content and games available for both Unity and Unreal Engine. We need the same for Lumberyard!