Average packaged build size (Empty or small project)

Hey there,

I am interested in what the standard build size is on average
for an empty project or a small demo level on the various
target platforms.

I couldn’t find any info on the net about this, neither for
cryengine…

Usually people talk about this a lot, I wonder why there is
no info about this anywhere?

I am looking for an alternative to Unreal, I love Unreal
and still do a lot with it. But for some projects the build size is just too big. So I need an alternative for these kind of projects.

Best,
tL.

Hi @Lytz1,

Currently, on WIN64 the minimum build size for development is 7.5 Gb. That includes the the full set of objects from the compiler, debugging symbols, art assets, etc. basically, what you will need for game development. For an executable on a release build with no debugging and assets the minimum build size is around 33Mb.

I’m still working on getting info on build sizes for the other platforms and will update it here when I do. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Oh. Yeah, that absolutely helps.

For an executable on a release build with no debugging and assets the minimum build size is around 33Mb.

Very cool. This is very low, good to know. Thanks.

(Not everybody here is looking to do huge multiplayer MMOs on AAA level with 1000000x1000000k maps and needs all kinds of the latest technical shenanigans, you know.)

I expect mobile builds to be around the same ballpark.
Still would be nice to get some additional feedback on that though. Because I think it might take a while until I can check this myself…

Now I just need to get this darn thing running (read: run a successful build) in the first place. :slight_smile:

Thanks again,
tL.