Basic Usability Issues With Lumberyard

Hi there,

I’m having a brutal time getting into Lumberyard and trying to make sense of some workflow issues. The biggest things hanging me up are the handling of meshes and manipulating my scene (pretty major categories LOL)

Three questions:

1. Can you import a mesh made of multiple parts, and interact/hide/manipulate each of those parts in the scene? IE, can I bring in a building made of a few hundred parts, and move a floor within the mesh, and add materials to each of the individual parts? OR - do I have to import each part on its own?
  2. Once I’ve exported a mesh or group of meshes, can I drag them into the level all at once? Or do I have to grab them one at a time from the file browser?
  3. Lastly, is there a listing of every mesh and object in the level you’re working on? In UE4, or any other engine, every mesh is easily selected one by one or in bulk by name. In Lumberyard, every mesh becomes an “Entity” and automatically named “Entity 1”, “Entity 2”, etc. Can I have these entities take on the names of their meshes automatically?
    I’m trying to tackle a fairly major project and the capabilities of Lumberyard and it’s cloud backend are perfectly suited for this project, if I can get over these hurdles.

Thanks,

A.

Hey @AndreElijah, have you looked through our tutorial page? There are lots of great tutorials there that may help you with some of the issues you are running into.

Also, what workflow are you using? Maya/FBX?

Maybe @Binky can help me out with this?

@Binky I’ve been binging on everything I can find. Written tutorials/video ones too.

I’m using 3DS Max with the Lumberyard plugin, and exported FBX files as well, then used the Lumberyard plugin to import them. A bunch of my FBX files refused to open. They were exported from Revit. After using FBX Converter - and converting them to an older FBX version (2010, I think) - they seemed to import.

Since I’m using Revit for my models, they’re made up of lots of parts for every wall/door/floor. I’d need to access these parts individually once the complete mesh is imported into the level. Same with doors on cars, etc.

If I export all of these FBX parts as individual nodes, I can’t possibly drag and drop hundreds of components into the scene, let alone in the correct position.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated - I’m kind of going crazy since a lot of elements seem to be pretty different from UE4/Unity/Unigine which I’m used to.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

For the record, when I import the FBX I specify that it should not merge the mesh. So how would I gain access to the individual parts that make up the mesh to apply materials, affect scaling, or reposition them entirely?

Thanks!

Hey @AndreElijah,

Sorry our workflows are a bit confusing or unclear, I’m sure there are areas we can improve to better explain these in our documentation and tutorials. Feel free to call out where we are missing this information, we would certainly appreciate the feedback.

Let’s see if I can answer your questions:

1. When it comes to being able to adjust assets in Lumberyard, each asset should be its own .CGF file. Using your building example, any floors, walls, etc. that need to be manipulated in some way will need to be its own .CGF. There isn’t a sub-object selection mode available with individual .CGF assets. You can easily reassemble your building pieces into a single building as a Component Slice so that you can reuse that building configuration.
  2. Currently, you will have to drag in the assets one at a time from File Browser. This is a known workflow slow down. There is a ticket for it to be addressed so that users can multi-select assets from the File Browser to be able to do things like drag multiple assets at once into a level.
  3. At this time, the Entity Outliner is the best way for seeing a list of all of your components in the level. There is a ticket cut for the names of the components not inheriting the name of the asset you dragged in so that it’s not just “Entity#”. You can manually change the name, but that does cause slow downs for workflow.
  4. I also wanted to chime in on the FBX Importer and positioning objects workflow that you mentioned in a different reply on this thread. With the FBX Importer, you can import your meshes as their own .CGF assets by creating multiple group configurations for the single .FBX file (it’s covered mainly in our FBX Importer tutorial). For each of your group configurations, you can use the Origin Rule to define the pivot point of the .CGF you are creating. So for example, if you have building that has 5 floors and each of the floors has their pivot point set differently, you can override the pivot of each floor’s .CGF by adding an Origin Rule and setting it to World. Then once you drag each floor .CGF into the level as a Component Entity, you can set their transform to the same coordinate in your level and the 5 floors should match the same configuration as the original layout from the .FBX.
    Hope that helps! We know we still have a ways to go, and we appreciate you bringing these workflows to our attention. We are open to more suggestions and requests too!

Thanks for the details @AndreElijah, let me get one of our Technical Artists to hop on here and help you out. Hang tight.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it! Switching engines is stressful - especially when the systems are named differently than you’re used to. I’ve read everything I can find so I promise I did some research before running to the forums! LOL

Hi @Ajia, thanks a lot. I was actually fearing a couple of these answers but I’m glad to know that I wasn’t blind and missing something. I’ll create the bulk of my scene in my 3D editor and combine most of my objects in the scene by material then, and keep the interactive items separate to make life easier for myself. That should cut down on draw calls, and organizational complexity.

I REALLY appreciate you getting back to me.

To both you and @Binky - have a great weekend!

A.

Hi @AndreElijah, hope you had a great weekend as well. Have you seen the link to our usability study? I think you’d be able to provide some great feedback. If you find yourself having time and are so inclined, here is the link: http://bit.ly/2grJLxh

I haven’t seen it before now. I will fill it out today for you. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

A.