I was wondering if there is an efficient (or tricky) way to generate material variation?
I didn’t find a method like variation in material editor and it’s not very convenient to add variation function to the material editor as it’s not node based in lumberyard (it can be achieved but a little complex) .
For now, I have several thoughts:
- Just preparing several different textures (it is not too time consuming as I am using substance painter) and apply them to the object randomly to make players unable to notice the repeating easily.
- Using vegetation system, treat the object as vegetation.
- Rotating. The problem is that the texture is painted as ‘tri-plannar projection’ and every projected face is just the same (it looks different in the screenshot because I painted another layer with moss).
- Using the method as painting terrain which means using highpass filtered texture. But I’m afraid this will throw away a lot of details and reduce the material quality.
- Adding decals (like small moss) or small vegetation (life grass and leaves). Adding decals will be time consuming and add vegetation can not solve all repeating problems.
So does anyone has some advice on this?