Can I address vertex accurately?

Hi All. I’m learning how to add a road. I want to set the road postition accurately. According to the user guide, I can snap the spline vertex to another position. But I can only “click” the target position on terrain, I don’t think it is accurate. Now I have two ideas:

1. to input the target position manually. For example, I select a spline vertext and input “100, 120, 12” with keyboard.
  2. If the above is not available, I want to add a virtual position onto terrain as reference. I will snap the spline vertext to the virtual position and then delete it.
    Thank you for telling me your idea.

Hi @pamgu,

I’ll double check the code tomorrow but snap to terrain should be working for Spline. I don’t remember if it’s left mouse button or middle mouse button, give those a try and also make sure your in ‘Edit Mode’ for the Spline Component (click the Edit button on the component card in the Entity Inspector).

Thanks!

Tom

1 Like

Hi @tom-hh,
Yes it is for Spline that snap to terrain. In fact, the road’s skeleton is Spline, that’s why I have to change spline vertex.
Now I have exercised it according to User Guide shown in 1st floor. I set the Spline Component to Edit mode and moved a vertex to adjust the road. The problem is that I can’t input the vertext position accurately. Just dragging it with mouse can not be accurate. So I asked in the 1st floor.
Thank you.

Now my solution is use Shape component as reference. In this picture, I use box and cylinder. They will be deleted when the road is ready.

Hi @pamgu,

Sorry busy day…

Hmm if you use the Surface Manipulator (the yellow sphere at the centre of the other Linear and Planar Manipulators) that should snap to the surface of the terrain as you drag it.

The reason we don’t currently display the actually vertex position is if we displayed all of them in the Entity Inspector the user experience isn’t great when you get a large number of points on the Spline, we also wound up getting performance problems in the Entity Inspector with that many elements :frowning:

The good news is we have plans to make this experience better in future but it’s a little too early to go into specifics, we’ll keep you posted though!

Thanks!

Tom

2 Likes

Hi @tom-hh,
In my opnion, I will have a sketch before building the virtual environment (terrain). The sketch shows position of import buildings, roads, river, bridges, trees, … . Hence, when building a road, I want to move the Spline Surface Manipulator to the position. That’s why I want to type-in values.
I don’t how professional game developer works. But I want to work in this way, because the game is based on real thing. Suppose the game is based on a Shanghai road, of course I want the player says “yes, this is the road I walked on every morning”.
I’m sure you will have some great solution. I will be happy to get it.
Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi @pamgu,

That is an excellent point and I am really sorry we currently don’t have this functionality out of the box.

I’d love to investigate if there’s a way to add this to the Entity Inspector somehow (e.g. The selected vertex shows up in the Entity Inspector that you can then edit directly). I’m not sure when I’ll be able to get to this but thank you very much for the reminder and bringing this up as an important usecase. Your workaround is a really good idea for the time being (sorry it’s a little cumbersome at the moment!).

Thanks for the feedback and I’ll keep you posted if there are any developments in this area!

Cheers!

Tom

1 Like

Most Game Developers do not need something on these lines unless they are going for a real place like you are saying. But even if most will not use it unless it is for a real place design I would also like to have this tool just to make sure my roads are more straight with a correct 45 degree curve and not just guess on some items like that. This I do hope will be implemented in a future version :+1:

2 Likes