Can the developers of the engine to improve the terrain?

Are there any plans to update, expand the terrain scale in the future? I need to create a terrain larger than 4096 by 4096 without losing quality. The ideal option is a terrain size of 10 km by 10 km. If it is available it will be fantastic! I want to achieve a seamless world and not use loading screens or use them, but minimal. Then this engine can certainly be called absolutely perfect! Can engine developers improve the terrain?

1 Like

Compute Farm Cloud Gem :slightly_smiling_face:

Speed up large-scale data processing and get hours back in production. By using the Compute Farm Gem, you can chew through computationally intensive processes in minutes instead of hours or days. The Compute Farm Gem uses Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) to parallelize large-scale processing tasks using a divide and conquer algorithm. Check out our video on how we used the Compute Farm Gem to generate terrain at 16km x 16km resolution in 10 minutes instead of 10 hours :wink: :point_down:

1 Like

@didzey Thanks for the feedback! We’re aware that customers would like more options for terrain quality, but for now, with the existing terrain system there are some size / quality tradeoffs that come into play.

Based on your question, you’re probably looking at the tradeoff in heightmap resolution. The terrain heightmap is limited to 4k x 4k in size, so the maximum terrain size you can make that retains 1 meter per texel in the heightmap is 4 km x 4 km. For a 10 km x 10 km world, you’re going to need to go to 4 meters per texel, but if you can live with an 8 km x 8 km world, you’ll get 2 meters per texel. These can lead to some coarse terrain, but you can improve the overall shape and look further by embedding a lot of static meshes of rocks, etc to break up the smoothness, and by using POM in your terrain materials to get some micro-variation in height.

High-quality surface materials and material layering goes an extremely long way towards improving terrain quality as well. Generally, I’d recommend using high-pass surface materials that contain material shading and definition, and the terrain macrotexture for color variation across the materials. This will help with both far-to-near blending as the surface materials blend in, and with coloration of other things like vegetation that can use terrain macro coloring to help with distance vegetation blending.

Also, keep in mind that a 4 km x 4 km world is still a pretty large area to populate with compelling content. That’s larger than any of the first four Fallouts, GTA: Vice City, etc. :slight_smile: A 10 km x 10 km world would make you larger than GTA V, Red Dead Redemption 2, etc. (Sizes sourced from https://gamicus.gamepedia.com/List_of_largest_game_worlds )

2 Likes

Hi didzey,

one other thing to bear in mind with worlds that large is that you can run into precision problems near the edges of your world. If you’re using single precision floating point arithmetic (which is how Lumberyard is designed, and is also the behaviour in PhysX, our default physics solution), you get about 7 significant figures of precision, so the smallest change you can represent in a value of 10000m is around 1cm. Once errors start compounding you may get some noticeably weird behaviour in things like physics simulation.

Best wishes,

David

1 Like

did you manage to work with it? I love this method, but how do I use it? it seems difficult to me. I have not found any tutorials for this gem

No , I just I saw only that video , I did not use this tool :blush: