Can't play game like early version

Hi,

In the early versions I can drag and drop the slice player and play game, now with the latest version I can’t.

I drag and drop simple_jacklocomotion (slice) and nothing happen, I can’t move. It’s more confusing than early versions.

What I’m suppose to do to play with Jack character ?

Hello and welcome to the community!

The StarterGame project does not have all the supporting files needed for the Jack player slice. (I’m not sure why, but I’ll pass this observation on to the team that supports this sample.)

There are two ways you can solve this problem so that you can start using the Jack character:

Option 1: If you want to keep the StarterGame as your default project, you’ll need to copy the AnimationSamples directory from dev\SamplesProject over to dev\StarterGame so that the StarterGame project has all the asset files it needs.

Option 2: Using Project Configurator, switch your default project to SamplesProject.

Alternatively, you could use one of the supported player slices that comes with StarterGame. Since StarterGame assets are now in a Gem, you’ll need to look in the Gems folder. For example, in Asset Browser, look under Gems -> StarterGame -> Characters -> Assets -> Valena -> Slices to find the Valena player.

2 Likes

If you are using the StarterGame project, we would recommend you drag and drop the StarterGame\Characters\Assets\Valena\Slices\Valena_Player.slice instead. This is a more up-to-date example for a player setup using EMFX and Script Canvas using today’s best practices.

Additionally, it is a known bug that the simple_jacklocomotion.slice still exists in StarterGame when it was intended to be removed since it does not work after all of the StarterGame updates.

Ok, it work with Valena but the character fall through the ground. I added component PhysX Terrain to the terrain and it work, not sure if is the right thing to do.

That is exactly the right thing to do. Valena uses NVIDIA PhysX to simulate physics interactions, so you need a PhysX Terrain level component.

By the way, this is also covered in the new “Get Started” tutorial series in the Lumberyard Welcome Guide. Check it out here: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/welcomeguide/wg-getstarted.html

ok, thanks. I’ll check the new tutorials :wink: