Dynamic Vegetation how to bake?

hi devs, recently I’ve take a look on to new feature of LY engine - Dynamic Vegetation. It’s nice working feature for time then you are designing your level and bioms on it. But not in run-time, bcoz every time then I run DynamicVegetationSampleLauncher.exe it’s starting to generating bioms and ofc it’s takes some time for this, and the worst thing is what gamer see this generation of biom’s in real-time, just after game loads( why it do not just load some already generated data ??? Or may be I missed something, I mean something like button “Bake vegetation into static bioms” ?

1 Like

I think this question is relevant! you need to figure out how to bake the plant. How do you do that? Let’s say we built a level and dynamically randomly created vegetation. How to bake bioma in this case?

Aren’t the maps already baked? I think what you’re seeing is the vegetation being populated.

@fluffy You aren’t missing anything, there isn’t currently a “bake vegetation” button, though that’s a great suggestion!

If you need pre-calculated vegetation across the level, you can use the static vegetation system. On the plus side, you’ll have exact control over where every instance goes via the vegetation paint tools, and it will all load with the level. On the downside, you won’t be able to use the proceduralism of the dynamic system, and you can’t partially load the vegetation, so it will all be in memory for the entire life of the level.

The dynamic vegetation system is really intended for runtime spawning of vegetation in a fixed-size area around the player. This lets it handle arbitrarily large levels, dynamic loading/unloading via dynamic slices, and even changing level conditions over time at runtime. There is never an excessive amount of data in memory at once, and it can respawn at runtime as the level changes or new things load / unload. The downsides are that you can’t currently condense or “bake” a hierarchy of procedural nodes, and you can’t directly paint locations of individual vegetation instances.

It sounds like the main concern though is either the spawning performance or else wanting to have a load screen in place until the spawning is complete. For performance, it’s definitely easy to create complex node graphs that can take longer to compute, but there might be tricks you can take to make it faster. For example, there might be lots of data that you can just combine into a pre-generated image that’s loaded into an ImageGradient. If the goal is just a load screen, I haven’t tried it myself, but I think it should be possible to query the vegetation system and keep displaying a load screen until the vegetation has initially finished spawning.