Game can not be initialized, refer to editor log for details?

Every time I try and start any lumberyard project I get this error. I am using the path C:\Lumberyard. When I go to C:\Lumberyard\dev\user\log there is just log.txt and log backups. No editor log. This happened yesterday as well and I deleted the folder and re-extracted the zip file. Any Ideas on how to fix this?

Hello @aaronsmedley,

The first thing I would do is run through this list of troubleshooting tips.

The log location depends on the project you have enabled. The default project is the SamplesProject and you can find the relevant logs at the following locations relative to the folder where you extracted Lumberyard:

dev/cache/samplesproject/pc/user/log/editor.log
dev/cache/samplesproject/pc/user/log/error.log

Once you’ve found your log file, copy it and rename it to editor_log.txt and reply, attaching that file so we can take a look at your log.

Tha ks

I realized it has something to do with creating a new project. After creating a new project and exiting it I can not relaunch the editor. This is after I run the lmbr_waf configure command. Probably something I
am doing wrong in creating a new project. I thought the sample project was not loading either but it apparently was loading the new project I had created instead of the sample project.

This is something that
may be an issue. It only loads the project that is set to default even if you select “launch editor” on a differently selected project. I realized what was happening after I saw that the sample project editor log hadn’t changed since yesterday.

Hi @aaronsmedley,

When creating a new project you must build it first. I think this related post might have an answer for you:

https://forums.awsgametech.com/t/unable-to-launch-the-custom-project/213/1

Answer copied below:

Whenever you create a new game project you must compile it first.

Assuming you just downloaded Lumberyard, here are the steps to create and run a new project:

1. Complete the Setting up your Development Environment tutorial. This is essential because you will need Visual Studio 2013 and a few SDKs to compile a new project. The Lumberyard Launcher makes this easy!
  2. Create your new project by following the Creating a new Game Project tutorial. Sounds like you’ve already done this so you can skip this step.
  3. Compile your new project by following the Compiling the Engine, Editor and Game tutorial.
    This tutorial goes over two methods of compiling your new project: via command line or Visual Studio editor. You only need to do one and I recommend that you just use the command line option because you can copy and paste the build command into the command window.
  4. After the compile finishes, run the editor. Profit. gg.
    Also, I’d like to point out that you only need to set up your development environment once. To create more game projects you just repeat steps 2 and 3.

I know it’s not ideal to do but to reduce fail points of an install this is what I did after almost 2 full days of trial and error. Start 100% fresh.
Install visual studio 2015 with update 3 to c drive, just let it chose the directory.
Let LY install to C:/amazon/Lumberyard, do not enable any gems yet. Don’t even install ffmpeg or libav yet. Goal is to reduce fail points.
During the setup, select vs2015 option, install all the required sdks that propagate after you select vs2015 option.

Then after all is installed try to continue to open a sample project. Don’t install any else yet thats not required until you can physically open a sample project game and it works successfully.
Do not ever enable any gems until you are at least able to open one of the projects and are satisfied with moving forward… Then when you enable gems, enable gems one at a time. Don’t go crazy and select all that you plan to use.

The reason I like this methods is because it reduces failpoints. Naming directory’s different and changing install locations in my mind could potentially break things. In past engines I’ve used you couldn’t use 20 name characters, had to be as close to the drive folder as possible and no numbers (c:/lumberyard instead of C:/myengine/engineversion1.7/lumberyard

Sorry my english!

After configure project with “lmbr_waf configure” and buil it you should copy the:

C:\Amazon\Lumberyard\1.9.0.1\dev\Bin64vc140\YorProjectName.Dll

and past it into:

C:\Amazon\Lumberyard\1.9.0.1\dev\Bin64vc120\

“yourProjectName” is the name of your project.dll

“1.9.0.1” is engine version