GameLift keep mixing up IP, sending people to wrong server

Well, this is like the forth time, i’m asking this. When you have high traffic, GameLift sometimes mix up the server IP and sending the wrong group of people to the wrong Server.

Will anyone please fix this? THis is serious issue. Last time I gave the log fleetID, time and everything and still no one went in and look at it.

Sorry that this is happening to you and I see you had a previous forum post that was unfortunately ignored: Gamelift mixed up my servers again..

Is this the same issue, where the alias seems to point to the wrong fleet at times? If so, if you can provide the alias ids and fleet ids (assuming they are different) and rough time of impact I will make sure someone from GameLift gets back to you.

If its a different issue, can you describe whats going wrong and provide any relevant GameLift ids to help the team debug the issue.

Thanks

Hi KillerPenguin, I can help shed some light on what happened, but I’m going to need a lot more information.

  1. Beta Fleet ID
  2. Test Fleet ID
  3. Beta Alias ID
  4. Test Alias ID
  5. GameSession ARN of a game session that you expected on your Beta Fleet, but ended up on your Test Fleet. The more examples, the better.
  6. Any changes you made to either Alias around that time.
  7. UTC timestamp of when the event occurred (we can get the timestamp from the GameSession ARN if you can provide that as well)

Aliases can be eventually consistent, so you might see game sessions appear in both Fleets for a few seconds when changing an Alias at high TPS, but that should only last for a few seconds.

Any time you make a forum post, please provide as much data as possible to ensure we have everything we need to look at our logs and debug what happened. Thanks!

Well i’m just reporting in that this happens again. Didn’t get any info this time. I did provide everything for you to check last time and no one answer though.

This is a rare occurrence, but it still happens. So I hope someone take a look at it.

Thanks for the response! Last time it looks like you only provided a single Fleet ID, which is not enough information to dig into a problem like this. If you expect a Game Session to go to your Beta Fleet and it was placed on your Test Fleet, at the very minimum we need to know the Game Session ID you had an issue with and both Fleet IDs so we can check their configurations and lookup your Alias information. Without more details, there’s nothing we can look into to help you understand what happened.

If you can provide that information, I’d be glad to look at our logs and help diagnose the issue.