GI 'active' checkbox crashes editor

Everytime I try to tick checkbox for ‘active’ under GI, editor crashes and I send him crash info of course.

Is this a known beta issue,or is there a step I’m missing b4 ticking box to avoid the crash ?

thy

@cajunctionAI

What version of Lumberyard are you using that creates this issue?

Just to be certain, do you mean the checkbox highlighted in the image below?

7169-gi-001.png

Yes I mean that,.I"m using very latest version, and I
tick the one you highlighted, I supsect its crashing bc the engine no longer supports GI ENV lighting maybe ? I read somewhere on docs amazon page for lumberyard that GI is no longer supported meaning they’ve come up with something better ?, see here:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/userguide/enviro-lighting-global.html < says its outedate, I suspect I have the right page/info bc if highlight the ‘active’ line under Ti V2 IT says voxel GI for level ( experimentation). Is this still consider experimental…I"ve seen tutorials that use this and it works fine, so what version are the tuts using ?

I just tried it again,saving my level and its still crashing., does it after 1.5 seconds
after clicking ‘active’ under TI v2 as shown in your picture.

I"m using very latest 1.14.0.1.

TY for help with this :wink:

ONe more thing, on the doc page for this feature it says:

"

This topic references tools and features that are legacy. If you want to use legacy tools in Lumberyard Editor, disable the CryEntity Removal gem using the Project Configurator or the command line . To learn more about legacy
features, see the Amazon Lumberyard Legacy Reference. "

How can it be legacy, and experimental at the same time ? ;0-0

Here is tutorial ( one of them) I found that is using feature, and not crashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Nfqyya2RA

@cajunctionAI

The
GI is part of the legacy system. This indicates that this system might not always work with the new updated systems that we are building. Compatibility is not guaranteed and shouldn’t be expected. Before we labeled things legacy, it was not clear to our customers which systems would work together and which would not. We hope this makes it more clear.

For example, Component Entities will receive light from the GI calculation but they do not contribute bounced light and color back into the scene.

Can you do
me a favor. Try making a new level, place no objects into it and then enable the GI. Does this still crash the editor? This might help us narrow down what could be wrong with your level. Do you get any error message when it crashes?

The legacy system has experimental features contained within it. These features are still part of the legacy system so that is how it can be ‘legacy and experimental.’ Have you enable these features? This could be causing your crash, if so please try disabling them and see if that resolve the issue for you.

I hope this is all helpful for you!

Enabling TI v2 on a new level does not cause a crash, but enabling TI v2 on my current non empty level ( detailed terrain, one ENV probe and player slice but NO meshes ’ ) , still causes a crash.

Pls see attachment DMP file & hope this helps explain crashes.

I had to load into ( odd ?) VS2017 community edition to even view the output , so I just saved it to text file as the app allows.

There is this though from ‘exemption’ line in VS > The thread tried to divide an integer value by an integer divisor of zero.

TY

7198-ly-crash-enabledtiv2.txt (20 KB)ly-crash-enabledtiv2.txt

@cajunctionAI

There is not a lot of useful information in that file. Please send the Editor.log file. It should be at this path:

dev\Cache\SamplesProject\pc\user\log*Editor.log*

Also,
since it works in a new level. The problem is most likely something that you have added, changed, or removed from your current level. Try to narrow that list down and find what change introduced the bug.

Something
that might work and would be fast to test is to open the broken level and save it as a new one. Then enable GI and see what happens. Good Luck!

I really doubt its anything I changed,added or removed but its worth a try.

THe level is ONLY terrain,no objects at all, just Time of Day and of course the player slice.

I’ll look to be sure and try suggestion.

thx

I saved the level into new level,opened , activated GI and another crash.

I can’t attach the log file as the system won’t allow it.

I see this in editor console if it helps any:

(AssetCatalog) - Registering asset “levels/essence_outpost_bird_tower9_i/leveldata/heightmap.dat” via AssetSystem message, but type is not set.

(AssetCatalog) - Registering asset “levels/essence_outpost_bird_tower9_i/leveldata/heightmap.dat” via AssetSystem message, but type is not set.

I was able to add to zip file, but it prob. would be a good idea to edit board system for adding attachments and fixing that.

I await your next suggestion.

@BigMoney

OK I fixed it by just creating a new level ( (I guess the other was somehow corrupt which makes no sense as it looked FINE in editor and let me work with it short of GI activation) ,and importing a different level back in.

I"d love to know what was really wrong so I can avoid it in the future

Btw this is no answer as I’d still like to know what was wrong to avoid it in the future…I can’t be having to repeat this again- tho I know LY is in beta but still this would be beyond annoying –

WHY is there no ‘reply’ to you on a 3 ‘hour’ post, when there IS a reply available on your 3 day post,that makes no sense…using latest opera ( firefox had the same problem, edge too flakey to bother)

thx

P.s.- THis is not an answer as I’m not satisfied with how things turned out, BUT there was no ‘reply’ on your latest post so I had to do this (?)

@cajunctionAI

Have
you tried removing the player slice? So, you only have the terrain. If this doesn’t work another suggestion would be to make a new level and
start over. Your time of day settings can be exported out to an xml file and then re-imported into the new level.