How do you save and load game in Lumberyard with Canvas?

Going through tutorials on YouTube, still can’t find something about saving and loading game. Seems to be a pretty important thing for a game.

So I found SaveData gem, but I see nothing about using it with Script Canvas?

How do you use it then? (for people who aren’t programmers and are using canvas) :confused:

3 Likes

You can’t yet unless you expose it yourself in SaveData gem in c++ unfortunately. I am also waiting on this functionality along with other file manipulation nodes and XML reading and writing etc.

2 Likes

Wow, you’d think with Script Canvas this would be the first thing implemented.

You raised a very important topic. Thank you for that! I hope the developers of this amazing engine will be able to provide us with more information, as well as more improvements regarding this topic. And I hope in the future we will be able to see a really working tool that even a person not familiar with programming in C ++ will be able to implement storing and loading gameplay in visual programming language canvas script

When can I wait for the introduction of a new variable in the canvas script with the addition of the save and download function of some variables? I can’t get into an engine editor, I’m not a big expert in this matter and for me it’s difficult. Will this be implemented soon for the script canvas?

I’m on the Script Canvas team and I recently learned that the Save Data gem did not provide a scripting interface. I cannot promise when we’ll have it, but I have a post-it on my computer that reads “Add Scripting Support to Save Data Gem” and I will do my best to find the time to add the necessary hooks for this feature to be callable from Script Canvas.

5 Likes

@LS1 Thank you, it will make it very easy to develop!