How to use a HDRI map for Image Based Lighting.

Hello,

I was wondering how to use HDRI maps in lumberyard, as an environment light, as a way of replacing the default time of day sun/sky. I am looking to create a scene that will can be used to get a 1:1 lighting match with substance painter, and I need to use an HDRI to achieve that.

Currently, I have got a inverted sphere, which I am using to enclose my scene. Onto this sphere I have applied a ‘ReferenceImageHDR’ material, with my HDRI map applied to the diffuse and environment input. This lets a capture sphere grab this in the reflections, but I want to know if this is the correct method of working with HDRI’s, and if there is a proper way, how does one do that? I am looking for a way to have an equivalent of UE4’s Area Lights

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/LightingAndShadows/LightTypes/SkyLight/

Thanks,

Hey @Cam, have you checked out the documentation here. That should get you up and running. You can also check the legacy CryTech docs here.

Let me know if that does or does not work for you and if not, I can get you some additonal info.

Hello @Binky, thank you for the links, I have read them, but i’m not sure exactly if that is what I am looking for.

I see that the environment probes capture the cube maps in a similar manner, with a five-sided texture being created for reflections. What I would like to know, is if Lumberyard has anything that works like a Sky-Light (environment light/dome light) which are present in both Unreal and Unity, and other 3D softwares.

I am looking for a way to be able to plug in a HDRI map :http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html,

and then use that to drive the ambient lighting for the level/scene, with a way to control its intensity and rotation, and then compliment that with a direct sun light. Is this possible within lumberyard, or is it unavailable? It’s possible quite easily within other engines, and its something that would be really useful to have, for creating a shading scene for model/material setup.

Secondly, is there any plans for lumberyard to adopt a more conventional lighting system in the manner unreal has, with more light types place-able within a level, such as a directional light for the sun, which is more easily and directly controlled?

Thanks,

Cam

Hey @Cam, here is some insight from the team that I hope you find helpful:

“I see that the environment probes capture the cube maps in a similar manner, with a five-sided texture being created for reflections. What I would like to know, is if Lumberyard has anything that works like a Sky-Light (environment light/dome light) which are present in both Unreal and Unity, and other 3D softwares.”

In Lumberyard we call it “static Skybox”. You can go to the Environment tab in the Editor and select a Material in SkyBox.

Apply any of three skybox texture ( skybox_12.tif, skybox_32.tif or skybox_5.tif ) to the diffuse texture slot of material . Note: The static skybox won’t react with the Time of Day changes. We would highly recommend that you use Dynamic HDR sky.

Here are the order of the Lumberyard Skybox textures.

In order for the HDRI map to work, there are some modifications needs to be done as the right order.

“and then use that to drive the ambient lighting for the level/scene, with a way to control its intensity and rotation, and then compliment that with a direct sun light. Is this possible within lumberyard, or is it unavailable? It’s possible quite easily within other engines, and its something that would be really useful to have, for creating a shading scene for model/material setup.”

We’ve worked hard to meet all the needs of our users, but there are some limitations and best practice implementations for Lumberyard. We recommend you try utilizing SVOGI in the Environment tab and Total Illumination section with Environment Probe setup to get the best result for a dynamic lighting environment.

“Secondly, is there any plans for lumberyard to adopt a more conventional lighting system in the manner unreal has, with more light types place-able within a level, such as a directional light for the sun, which is more easily and directly controlled?”

Have you tried using the “Time of day” setting to control sun direction as an main directional light source. From there you can use “Sun Trajectory Tools” to adjust sun direction as desired (tutorial). Time of day is the main method for controlling directional light Lumberyard and in conjunction with SVOGI, you’re going to get the best dynamic lighting result.

I hope this helps. Let me know if it’s helpful or not and we’ll continue to get the answers your looking for.

Hey @Cam, did this work for you at all?

Hello @Binky, I appreciate the information you posted, but It’s still not quite answering what i’m looking for. The main thing I am curious about, is how to set up an HDRI to provide the lighting and reflections for a level. In the response you mention that some modifications are needed, but I am curious as to what these are, as there doesn’t seem to be any documentation, or information available to me on this subject.

The dynamic time of day system is great, but I am looking to be able to create a more controlled scene, for shading purposes, where I can set up multiple HDRI’s to provide the lighting, to set up a models shading and have a good 1:1 lighting match with a program like substance painter, which also uses HDRI’s. without this, its a lot harder to get something that I know to be the same.

Thanks

Cam, what you need to do is create an “Environment Probe” and then set it to use your cube-map rather than generating the probe for you.