If you want Lumberyard to succeed you need to get your act together

I am a Unity developer and am desperate to find an alternative engine and Lumberyard seemed like a good choice to try out for me to jump ship. Putting aside the 10G download the initial user experience is terrible. I’ve been waiting for an hour now for the asset processor to do it;s thing and it’s only on job 1071 out of 2149! This is after it’s crashed once and left itself in the background in a zombie state. Not cool to have to Ctrl Alt Del in the first session of trying out your wares.

Asset loading should never take this long, what are you guys thinking when you write code and think it’s ok for your end user to be sat watching the hourglass for such a long time. I’m watching the task manager and asset processor_tmp.exe is using about 3.7% of CPU and lumberyardLauncher.exe about 5-18% Disk about 3-10% Memory 20% so what is taking your asset importer so long? Use my hardware FFS!

I’m going to stick with it for now because I really want you guys to succeed. but come on, when writing code try it out from the end users first experience POV and ask yourself the question is this really giving the best experience for a developer as it should. It’s never cool to sit watching the hourglass, it’s usually and indication of poor programming especially with the power of todays machines!

I don’t see the comparison. In the Unity Editor, a refresh of my assets for a 36GB project, is still long hours of staring at a green bar and waiting. With Lumberyard at least I get a fancy window and a detailed breakdown of whats left to do and what it is currently working on.

In either engine, initial setup of a Project is legnthy.

@Arkon9,

I’m sorry that things aren’t going smoothly, but grateful that you took the time to post about it.

In addition to building cool new features, our team of industry all-stars is working to modernize the Lumberyard client experience. You’re going to see a lot of changes happening to Lumberyard this year.

System specs are top of the range iMac, running Lumberyard on a Parallels VM running Window 10.

Just given up now. Editor.exe hangs waiting on the asset processor. Asset processor has finished but now hung. Rebooted and tried again. This time asset processor list has no jobs to do but just locks up, and editor is stuck waiting for it to finish and it never does. I’ll try again in 6 months time.

Hi @Arkon9,

Thanks for your feedback! We’re definitely working to make the Lumberyard Beta perform well on many different platforms but we need feedback from game developers like you to find the configurations where Lumberyard doesn’t perform as well as the ones we test on. It would be helpful to us if you would post your general system specifications (CPU, graphics card, RAM, Operating System, Hard Disk type, etc).

Also, some projects like the Legacy GameSDK and BeachCity projects have many more assets to process than the SamplesProject and take longer. You probably already located the docs, but here’s a direct link to the Asset Processor page:

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/userguide/asset-pipeline-processor.html

@Arkon9

Your problem has nothing to do with Lumberyard and everything to do with Parallels. Download Bootcamp and do a proper boot into the Windows operating system to utilize system resources. You can’t expect a true AAA game engine to run in a virtual environment… this isn’t Unity.

I’m not comparing it to Unity. I don’t care which is better. I just think in any engine on todays hardware it should’t take hours to do anything. I’m currently installing Lumberyard on a dedicated PC so to at least give it a fair go, but it really does need to work under parallels, I for one won’t be able to use it if it doesn’t.

@Arkon9

Parallels
is not meant for high resource GPU dependent applications. It’s a virtual environment, meaning hardware emulation. You cannot expect to run anything besides a word processor and get decent results. This version of Lumberyard might be able to run properly in a virtual environment in say 10 or 20 years… the same way one can run Windows 95 in a browser today.

“A virtual machine (VM) is a software implementation of a machine (for example, a computer) that executes programs like a physical machine.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine