Is generating all tools necessary to build a release version?

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I’d appreciate a definitive answer.

I’m trying to build a release version of a project to understand how the process works.

Steps 2 and 3 from http://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/userguide/game-build-release.html state:

1. Generate all tools in profile mode by typing one of the following:
  • If you are using Visual Studio 2013:lmbr_waf build_win_x64_vs2013_profile -p all
  • If you are using Visual Studio 2015:lmbr_waf build_win_x64_vs2015_profile -p all
    Alternatively, you can use Visual Studio to build all in profile mode.
  1. Build game_and_engine in release mode by typing one of the following:
  • If you are using Visual Studio 2013:lmbr_waf build_win_x64_vs2013_release -p game_and_engine
  • If you are using Visual Studio 2015:lmbr_waf build_win_x64_vs2015_release -p game_and_engine
    Can I skip Step 2 here? If not, why not? If so, does it cause any issues if I execute both step 2 and step 3?

Also, what is the easiest way to see what files have been output or altered by each of these build commands?

Hey @Catma, I’m looking too get you a thourough answer for this.

Hello @Catma,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes Step 2 is required because in that step we build the AssetProcessor and RC executables which are used in the later steps to process/package your assets to be ready for a release build.

All of the files in the output directory gets generated by the build commands. The output directory being Bin64vc140.Release for VS2015 in release mode, Bin64vc120.Release for VS2013 in release mode, Bin64vc140 and Bin64vc120 for VS2015 and VS2013 in profile mode respectively.

Hope that helps!

Thanks.