Looking for a developer to teach - paid gig

Hello,

I am a librarian with the Sacramento Public Library. My I recently wrote and received a grant to do something really cool in my library. We are going to build a game design space. The goal is to teach basic coding, project management, storytelling and general computer skills to every 5th grade student in my library’s service area. We are a small rural community along the Sacramento River’s Delta Area. After looking at a couple of engines, I landed on Lumberyard as the tool for kids to learn these important computer technology and professional skills.

I am looking to hire a developer to skype or otherwise virtually port into my library and work with a total of 20 5th grade students. I want them to go through the basics of building a game over the course of 5 months. This will involve up to 3 hours of instruction / guidance a week. All classes meet on Wednesday and Fridays from 3:30 to 5:30 pm Pacific time (between 1 and 1.5 hours of instruction every Wednesday and Every Friday).

Overall, I want the kids to build something simple and narrow. One storyline that students work in small groups to build out the different levels on. I’m not looking for fast action shooting and inventive AI with fantastic art. I DO want the kids to be able to get from point A to point E of a narrative with all the appropriate stops along the way. If it is a point and click, move and find type of short adventure that is fine by me. If it is all done with the pre-built library of sprites and objects in Lumberyard and the available downloads, EVEN BETTER. This is not focused on visual art. I do want there to be voice acting and music in the game (we purchased equipment to record and edit audio as that is another skill to teach). If they produce a game with 15 minutes worth of playtime or 60 game breaking - bugs that is fine. The goal is not a finished and professional looking product (from my end). The goal is skills learned and future opportunities opened up for these kids.

The stipend for this work is not very large. I am hiring out at 20$ an hour, with an hour of prep time built into each week’s billing hours. We are fine with undergrads or recent grads or seasoned experts who want to be involved with teaching kids.

If you are interested, please reach out to me with a reply to this thread. If you know someone who may be interested, please pass this along. If you know a teacher who is teaching this engine to his / her students and they are able to pass along this posting, I think that would be of help to me.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and let me know if you are interested or have any questions. Again, please pass this along where appropriate. Game Dev circles are not exactly my forte - so any help is appreciated.

-CD

Hello @Chris_durr, this is really cool and we hope to see and hear more of this initiative in the coming months. Mike, who you connected with offline will be in touch if you need to bounce an idea off him. We’ll leave this post up for others who wish to collaborate on the project but feel free to reach out should you need assistance.