Looking for help and a good platform to run a community driven knowledge base.

It is very evident the lack of a central place with just that single purpose.

To build and constantly improve the deepest and most accurate, consistent and up to date network of information worth to be preserved for future reference on everything you love to share and need to know about this engine.

Today to get an easy, fast, direct and organized access to the most valuable information about a subject, exposed in the clearest and consistent way, with the lesser signal to noise ratio is no more a plus, but a must to survive these times.

A community-driven knowledge base is a statement about the evolution of a community that responsibly looks forward to the greater good, spreading culture and be able to fast train new but fully competent and professional forces to pose the basis for an exponential growth.

And so exponential improvements in communication optimized in time, quantity and quality both in learning and teaching:

• Not only for frequently asked questions.
  • Ease new users onboarding increases engagement and retention.
  • Reading from the same reference material smooths any friction and lowers the risk of misunderstandings.
  • Keep the record of the best troubleshooting paths people can follow in autonomy to get unstuck and return productive.
  • Standardization in reporting any kind of issue cutting investigation and debugging times.
  • Focus on boosting community confidence, cooperation skills, ethic, and professionalism.
  • Constructive feedback loop habit.
  • Consistency speeds up approval processes like GitHub pull requests or other knowledge base content.
    You may invest your knowledge to acquire more of it or just spend it doing things in your comfort zone and get stuck in it or reinventing more and more wheels as soon as you exit out of it.

So we can help build this together starting from now and enjoy the results or more probably you will do nothing waiting for others do for you and fail, just to prove to you that it was a loss of time in the first place.
Any single help reduces the return on the initial investment and increases tremendously the chances of success so it’s a no-brainer to show your support.

The next time you will feel in the mood to help someone do not forget to come here to suggest a tool or a strategy or anything else you believe it is missing to get the ball rolling as soon as possible, gain momentum and entice others to join this initiative.

Let’s show Amazon that this community is not just full of takers, but its made by accountable givers willing to bring some serious added value.

Hi @Gamely,
Let me preface this with one word… YES!

In my experience forums lack what it takes for a progressive community to flourish, and therefore a structured, centralized and user-editable knowledge base is required. There is no better format than a Wiki.

However, not to be disparaging, but there is also a major credibility problem if this effort is user originated. By that I mean, it must be official and hosted by Amazon Game Dev.

i.e. https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/wiki/

If it isn’t, what can happen is there could end up being multiple different unofficial Lumberyard Wikis and none of them taken seriously or given much contribution. Usually these community Wiki pages only have a small number of frequent contributors anyway, and unless it is official I don’t see it going anywhere besides a handful of the more active users already here.

In the time being I will personally make every effort to contribute to the Wiki you have created as I become familiar with Lumberyard, and when there is an official Wiki that information can be migrated over.

Yet, we must have a Lumberyard Wiki!

@Amonster_LMBR @Binky_LMBR

I petition Amazon to create an official Lumberyard Wiki as soon as possible!

Regards,

Uriah

P.S. I should also note that one roadblock to community adoption and contribution is the fact that many Wiki frameworks lack a modern user interface, making editing tedious, a better framework with a modern interface would be highly preferable.

I didn’t add any plugin yet there are few WYSIWYG editors.

I will do it tomorrow.

I’m just putting ideas down to see if some patterns emerge to suggest a proper structure.

It is very w.i.p. put some text in it without fear can be organized and properly formatted later.
The most important thing is to get started then the practice will make it perfect and a good and consistent style will be found.

I’m evaluating the use of a wiki (DokuWiki as I just use it locally for my personal knowledge base)
It could be both a final and temporary solution as

• Free, self-hosted and easily migratable.
  • You can switch to any other kind of Knowledgebase as it uses plain text files and its markdown is very easy to convert to anything else.
  • Has a lot of plugins.
    http://lumberyard.altervista.org/ a specific second level domain can be used in future and a theme can be made to make it look less ugly :stuck_out_tongue:

What do you think about wikis?
Could it be a good starting point?

In the wiki Start Page, I proposed a list of subjects that may be covered.

Let me know what is missing and your favorite ones.

Thanks, @Uriah Your proposed structure is a big improvement, I’m going to update the wiki in a hurry.

This is totally the iterative workflow I meant… I just proposed some subjects, then someone else figure out the structure, another one may write a content the key is to keep the ball rolling.

If something bad happens everything can be rolled back so feel free to experiment.

There are no bad ideas everything can be improved and problems can be fixed after they explicit themselves.

Hi @Uriah, Thanks for your help.

Let’s first make it worth to be considered official and then we will see what happens.

Migration is totally possible and quite effortless.

I am on-board!

I would definitely suggest a different page structure which breaks up the main page into high level topics which are then decomposed to more detailed sub-topics, that’s my initial feedback.

Instead of having troubleshooting with a whole bunch of unrelated topics, I would have troubleshooting as a section of a particular topic, with general troubleshooting in the FAQ.

If I were to break it up, it would be something generally as follows. This is not to duplicate the official LY documentation, it is to structure it in a manner where someone can easily know where to find or contribute information pertaining to a particular topic, in fact the Wiki should reference/link to the Documentation for detailed information where it exists. That way if a question is asked on the forum it should be easy to find if that has already been covered in the Wiki or Documentation or not. So when a new question is answered, that information can be added directly to the Wiki if it does not exist in the documentation already.

• Main Page
    • Introduction
      • FAQ
      • History
      • Versions
      • Road map
    • Getting Started
      • Installation
        • Downloads
        • Prerequisites
        • Troubleshooting
      • Familiarization
        • Project Configurator
        • Creating Project
        • Adding Gems
        • Compilation
          • WAF
          • Visual Studio
          • Troubleshooting
        • Editor
          • FAQ
          • Levels
          • Terrain
          • Slices
          • Objects
          • Components
          • AI
          • Physics
          • Scripting
          • Troubleshooting
          • etc…
    • Development
      • Overview
        • FAQ
        • Projects
          • Solutions
        • Gems
          • Creating a Gem
          • Includes
          • Code
          • Bus
          • etc…
        • etc…
      • Best Practices
        • Workflow
        • etc…
      • C++
        • EBus
        • Entity Components
        • etc…
      • Lua
      • etc…
    • Asset Pipeline
      • File Structure
      • Import
        • FBX
        • etc…
      • Configuration
      • Textures
      • Materials
      • etc…
    • Community Resources
      • Tutorials
      • Projects
      • Assets
      • 3rd Party Tools
      • Scripts
      • etc…
    • Known Issues
      • Bugs
      • etc…
        This would be highly subject to change, but provides a more structured set of topics and and sub-topic.

Regards,
Uriah

Looking much much better now!

I’ll find time this coming weekend to contribute some things I’ve learned about Gems

I just added the things more “safe” plus few “less safe” that will be done…adding troubleshooting, best practices, and known issues directly to the subject could result in an amount of empty links.

once that pages get added you will see how the sitemap is indeed just another organization opportunity.

Added few plugins to add GitHub issues, and embed GitHub documents(e.g. a script from a repository) I need to check them today.

I look forward to your Gem contribution, they are a very important aspect of the engine we have to target to get a valuable alternative to the documentation so probably focusing on specific use cases that documentation doesn’t cover properly.

I also plan to generate some initial pages from data scraped from engine directories e.g. gem folders and Json, wscripts some shader files using text templates so to bootstrap the wiki and get some consistency where people can fill empty spaces with content.

This could be also used to link back to the original documentation.

As the scope is big and it will require time some priority should be defined.

Nice to see you guys! I’ll be glad to share my so-far earned knowledge about the program :slight_smile:

@Lyrcaxis it is great. I also made the #wiki channel on https://amazon-lumberyard.slack.com come join to talk about the future of the wiki.
First Script added to https://github.com/Paolo-Oliverio/Lumberyard_Wiki_Scripts it is the Lua version of the Logic Once node in ScriptCanvas I will add more tomorrow and then try the embedding in the wiki.

How do I join the amazon-lumberyard Slack?

EDIT < Never mind I figured it out.