Lumberyard 1.25 General Feedback

Just general feedback from a newbie who hasn’t touched Lumberyard since the early days, when it required about 30 dependencies that had to be installed separately and manually before Lumberyard itself would install.

Just installed LY 1.25. Went smoothly. Only crashed when I got to the last step when it wants to launch and configure itself. Turns out I needed to update Visual Studio 2015 Redistributable DLLs. Like many, I have multiple versions of VS on my machine and like many have found, I could not install the 2015 VS Redistributable since a later version of of VS was already present.

I needed to do some research and finally find the Microsoft 2015-2018 Redistributable package and install the 64 and 32 bit DLL versions.

Suggestion: since these are the redistributable packages, and I believe free to distribute as part of a 3rd party installation, it would be easier on new users of LY to have that as part of the installation process. That would have made the entire installation perfect.

Regardless of that one crash, the installation is definitely much improved since the early days. Well done. Looking forward to seeing how the Unreal/Unity-ish UI performs and how easy/hard it is to figure out how to run this new improved version for typical game dev cases.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Hi @CGAnderson,

Great to hear you’re checking out Lumberyard again!

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions, we look forward to hearing your thoughts after you’ve had a chance to play around with the Editor.

Cheers!

Tom

1 Like

Looking forward to it @tom-hh ,

Little concerned that the documentation Release Notes refer to every release of Lumberyard as a Beta. And the number of releases per year (because I’ve never been a fan of Unreal’s constant releasing and changing of the architecture. Unity does the same, but separates out new releases versus stable releases knowing that developers often need to use a rock solid release for at least 6 months. Sometimes 18 months, but usually there is the expectation that you will have to upgrade near the end of the cycle and hope that the architecture hasn’t been changed to the point it makes your game/app unstable/unusable.)

Also surprised but happy to see the casual voice in the Release Notes. Bit cheeky but that’s OK. It stands out from Unreal/Unity docs that way (and Microsoft/Google). It’s a bit refreshing, and a quite a change from the usual ‘almost robotic voice but easy to localize’ style so common these days. A quick look at a few doc pages shows me that those are less ‘cheeky’ but still casual but personable, making the docs much easier (more interesting?) to read. For me, at least, that’s a plus. How well they (and tutorials) teach, I don’t know yet - but I’m hopeful. :slight_smile:

I’m not going to go too deep since I need to focus on a Unity prototype, but I am very interested in general features (comparisons) as well as your shading/rendering system and how easy it is to modify it, both with easy HLSL (or equivalent) shaders, as well as deeper rendering pipeline changes when you need access to lights, shadowmaps, etc. Same with physics. Unreal is a pain in the butt there. Unity is proprietary and handicaps you in many ways (though that is changing). I want to see how LY compares (and no, the answer is not ‘but we’re on Github, full source’. That’s an Unreal answer, and likely also a pain in the butt for pipeline changes.)

Like I said, looking forward to getting deeper.

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed response @CGAnderson!

Glad you’ve been enjoying the docs! We do pretty regular releases and while we’re still technically Beta we try very hard to not break public APIs without first announcing their deprecation and then providing an update/alternative in a subsequent release. It’s not perfect but does try to make upgrades less painful (much less painful than they used to be!). Things always change (hopefully for the better!) but we know upgrades are hard and always want to get better at that.

Thanks again for the feedback,

Cheers!

Tom

1 Like