Lumberyard Beta 1.22 is Now Available!

Hi Game Dev friends!

We are excited to announce that Lumberyard Beta 1.22 is now available for download.
Check out the Release Notes for information on the 97 improvements, fixes, and features.

GameDev Blog

• Take a look at the GameDev Blog for more information on Lumberyard Beta 1.22.

Documentation

Download

Client Zip Files

Third Party Zip files

6 Likes

Where do we find the “PhysXSamples” Gem? (as mentioned in the New Feature list: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/releasenotes/lumberyard-v1.22-improvements-changes.html#physx-improvements-changes-v1.22 )

It’s not a level in StarterGame nor in SamplesProject nor in the Gems list. Haven’t found it Windows explorer file search either. And it’s there no separate download on your download page: https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/downloads/

I am seeing forward to try these new samples out - snip from the release notes:

• Quadcopter: Uses impulse force powered by the new Post Physics handler to fly around and stabilize hovering. Additional scripts include camera rig behaviors customized for flying, and scripts that change the propeller rotation speed based on velocity. This slice can also be combined with the weapon projectile slice. which fires rigid body spheres, and the rotor wash slice which uses a force volume to interact with rigid bodies in the world. (Recommend turning on Continuous Collision Detection on in the Global Physics configuration settings.)
  • Cowboy and Revolver: Example of using the PhysX character controller and actor components together with animation tools and script canvas to drive gameplay. Controller supports both root motion and direct motion for moving the controller. Included is a customized 3rd person camera rig and behaviors that use character speed to dynamically dolly the camera in/out and change the camera field of view. While the character pose assumes a weapon is always in hand, the Revolver gun slice is optional, and opens up the possibilities for weapons to be dynamically attached and detached. Unlike the rigid body weapon, the revolver uses ray casts for shooting (hit scan) and interpolates a tracer round to the target.

On the site still say 1.21.2. Need to be changed.

Hey @Noskyred, you may be seeing a cached version. Try doing a hard refresh and let me know if you are still seeing 1.21.2 and I will dig in. I just looked on my end and I see 1.22.

1 Like

I see 1.22 on the lumberyard home page

1 Like

Hi @araccen, it turns out the Gems did not get included in this release. We are targeting to release these with Beta 1.23. I am very sorry for the miscommunication.

2 Likes

is there an estimated date/time-window for the release of 1.23b ? im also very interested in the physx gems

1 Like

It is all right, man. Running 1.22. Thank you!

Can I ask a question why all the releases are in “beta” when you will release the “final” release I was monitoring since a year and all the releases were in “beta” correct me if I am wrong.

hey @NorthEGames maybe the official team can elaborate more, but engine is still beta because its still somewhat in a metamorphosis stage as far as what they are trying to build , i reckon when it resembles that stage the beta will be dropped from the releases

Hmm, but it took a long time and amazon is branding this engine as AAA it should have exited beta long ago.

At current state it can do wonders in the hand of a committed developer but certainly not easy to use for people who have little experience. However the documentation is good and getting better, this is good.

Gotta keep in mind they are working from a base engine that needed a major overhaul to match there vision, i think beta keeps it in perspective that anything is subject to change rapidly. there are still systems that need to be fleshed out and updated from the base it was built from.
I agree the engine is very solid and will only get better!.

please decrease volume GB of ly 1.23 , please remove starter game project of ly 1.23 , ones can download starter game project for ly 1.23 :slightly_frowning_face: :frowning_face: :disappointed:.

1 Like

@_AhmadKarami you are right! The starter game is not needed, but it is nice for a quick starter for people to use. The starter game cannot just be downloaded normally though. If you download it through the amazon LY page you will need to do the whole build of the gems it uses. So in the long run its a little big, but what everyone else says if you are actually wanting a professional level engine that can make Triple A quality games you can wait the extra time, or go to something like Unity or Unreal Engine. :grin:

1 Like

@WashedUpStudios you’re right in that the entire project can’t just be downloaded without a separate build but it’s really only the assets that’s driving up the size. The project could be downloaded as precompiled just without all the extra assets it uses. Those assets could be available as a separate download with separate install instructions as an option if you do decide you want to run the starter game.

In my opinion the best thing about starter game is the wealth of assets, scripts and slices you get to see and play around with. But you shouldn’t be forced to re-download all those assets every time you update your engine version.

1 Like

I see what your getting at @friendMaster2000. It makes a lot of sense, but there starter game should be easily accessible to anyone that is new to the engine and wants to mess around with it. Other than that you make great points! :+1:

I think it would be better if they made a launcher and could be added from that launcher, but I think that will not exist in the near future

1 Like

@Coidiz Great Idea! I like the idea of that, they should definitely make a launcher at some point in time (Hopefully before 1.3) .

I cannot make it work, I delete the previous version, re-built everything, Visual Studio says it’s ok, building from the console too but I cannot run any project nor the Editor.

1>------ Build started: Project: _WAF_, Configuration: [Game and Engine] debug x64 ------
1>[WAF] Engine Root: e:\Amazon\Lumberyard\1.22.0.0\dev\
1>[WAF] Executing 'build_win_x64_vs2017_debug' in 'e:\Amazon\Lumberyard\1.22.0.0\dev\BinTemp\win_x64_vs2017_debug'
1>[WARN] Missing JDK path from Setup Assistant detected. Target platforms that require java will be disabled. Please re-run Setup Assistant with "Compile For Android" enabled and run the configure command again.
1>[SETTINGS] win_vs2017_vswhere_args = -version [15,16] (default -version [15.9.28307.770,16.0))
1>[SETTINGS] specs_to_include_in_project_generation = all,game_and_engine,game,gem_tests (default all, game, game_and_engine)
1>[SETTINGS] Target Output folder (win_x64_vs2017/debug): Bin64vc141.Debug
1>[WARNING] Incredibuild disabled by build option
1>[WARN] Invalid module 'LyIdentity_shared' in spec 'game_and_engine'
1>[WARN] Invalid module 'LyIdentity_static' in spec 'game_and_engine'
1>[WARN] Module use dependency 'CrashHandler' for target 'CrySystem' refers to an invalid module
1>[WARN] Module use dependency 'ToolsCrashHandler' for target 'EditorLib' refers to an invalid module
1>Cannot copy source 'E:\Amazon\Lumberyard\1.22.0.0\3rdParty\PVRTexTool\2016_r1.1\PVRTexLib_License.txt' File not found.  Skipping.
1>[WAF] 'build_win_x64_vs2017_debug' finished successfully (4m24.016s)
1>[WAF] Executing 'package_win_x64_vs2017_debug'
1>[WAF] 'package_win_x64_vs2017_debug' finished successfully (5.644s)
1>[WAF] Executing 'deploy_win_x64_vs2017_debug'
1>[WAF] 'deploy_win_x64_vs2017_debug' finished successfully (2.358s)
2>------ Skipped Build: Project: Editor, Configuration: [Game and Engine] debug x64 ------
2>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration 
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 1 skipped ==========

I might be doing something wrong here. Can anyone tell me where?

hi @Prompt ! check this options

before build select proper project

then open cmd from dev dir and type one by one:

lmbr_waf configure
lmbr_waf build_win_x64_vs2017_profile -p all