Lumberyard Shader & Maps Questions

dfrrr-thumb.jpg

Playing around in the material editor. I noticed black shadow (Illum shader) in the reflection of the chrome ball. Is there a way to fix this? The capsule seems to have white artifacts (glass shader) with the 2 sided option turned on.

I also noticed you can’t plug in maps for the specular smoothness. If you want an area of a mesh to be more or less glossy. Is there a way you can plug in textures for this without using the alpha channel of a normal map?

Also the hair shader seems to be missing a texture plugin for opacity map? If you are using polygonal hair. May I ask what shader was used for Rin’s Hair in the Lumberyard tech demo?

Also seems reflection is bad for cubes (tried creating chrome material with cubes, doesn’t look as good with capsules or spheres).

Also IOR maps?

Thanks.

Hi @melvixo

Do you have an environment probe in the scene? It could be related to the resolution or lack of one. I’ve added a request to investigate the issue and also regarding the specular smoothness and hair issues.

Downloaded the woodland asset pack. It worked for the 1.1 version.No worries.

@melvixo
Lumberyard does a “true” reflection for water and uses screen-space reflections and environment probes for most everything else. CryEngine and Lumberyard share a lot of the same rendering technology and the following page has some good examples of the various reflection technologies employed:

http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC2/Environment+Probes

For the new version of Lumberyard, yes, you do need to download the whole engine. We don’t have a system yet that automatically upgrades the engine and projects, but we are working to improve our installation, setup and upgrade workflows. It’d be great to get your feedback regarding your preferred method of upgrading for you or your team.

@petrocket Yes, I have an environment probe in the scene. I normally use offline renderers for my archviz works. Trying out game engines. From what I understand game engines cannot create true reflections? As for the hair shader, an alpha map has to be added to the diffuse .dds texture for it to work. I have been reading the pdf full documentation of Lumberyard. Also, for the new 1.2 version of Lumberyard, do I need to redownload the whole engine again, or there is a way to update it?

dfrrr-thumb.jpg

Thanks for the link. I used an environment probe with box project from what you posted. The artifacts in the glass and the incorrect reflection in the sphere are gone. This means if a scene has a lot of reflective assets, will require a good number of environment probes which is okay.

SSR- Is this a feature that comes with Lumberyard materials when the specular is more than 0,0,0 or it’s a feature one needs to enable?

I know the Lumberyard docs are still work in progress but this should be added. I would also suggest mini tutorials like this as it would help new users of the engine.

I would prefer an update file you can download and install offline which upgrades your engine to the newest version. Downloading 5gb everytime isn’t the best imho. Also kudos to how fast you guys are releasing updates to the engine. I can understand if the whole engine has to be re-downloaded to use the new features but having this two options would be in everyone’s best interest. I do feel if you make an update file install available it might put you ahead of other game engines as this would make things easier and the engine more available to users and most importantly demonstrate how you guys are taking feedback from users and making convenience one of your top priorities (which you are already doing).

Also, the other assets packages for download are they backward compatible( noticed they are v.1.2)? I have the 1.1 version currently installed.