New Tutorial Series - Getting Started Guide

New to Lumberyard or game development? Take a look at the Getting Started Guide, a new tutorial series of videos that walks you through the process of creating a level, step-by-step.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuGWzrvNze7KbG2x6ccIw8eMhL5e4Iwpe

Take a look and let us know what you think. We’d love to hear your feedback and suggestions on additional content you’d like to see.

Awesome, thanks! I really appreciate how concise these tutorials are and how animated the narrator is when speaking. It definitely helps me process the information better.

Nice! Props for having it done by someone who can actually talk :slight_smile: (no offense to any one making tutorials, I myself did some and I know how hard it is). Nice to see you guys are tackling the tutorials with such effort. Keep it up!

Great initiative short videos are great and the number of videos is unbelievable, but with a big why…why you uploaded everything in one batch today?Let people subscribe, get the notification, find a new video, be happy for this, watch it, enjoy, apply what he learned, leave a comment and a thumb up, maybe share it(you should put a call for action in every video) and then repeat.

This is not Netflix you are teaching something indeed it’s like a professor giving all the homework for the entire year the first day and then say goodbye and get out of the door.

I will hardly learn something by a basic tutorial, as a video to be useful to me should be about some new feature and be released together with it, but not in one batch:) …before then I can learn it the hard way or I will get always the basic video when my level of knowledge about the subject has surpassed the basic level.

Hmm… not sure what happened there. I uploaded the 1080 video and cannot replace it. I will upload the full res again and add it to the playlist. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the feedback @Gamely, but this is something a lot of people have been asking for for a while, and this way, there is no waiting, people can learn on their own pace and if they choose to binge watch, they can. If they want to spend a day or so on each aspect they can. By providing all the content at once, we eliminate the waiting period for people who are already on step 12 or 5 or 31.

Is this bad for us and out numbers and the perception that we are not releasing as much content, yes. But it’s not about us. It’s about helping the largest number of people.

Your points are definitely valid.

Of course, it is bad for you as it is much effort for less social traction.About other people it depends on their ability to manage the learning you may create the best learning path and they could still struggle to commit to it.For this reason to make it a habit is very convenient overall

@Binky_LMBR Apparently the last video in the playlist is not available in high resolution. The highest is only 360p. It’s the UI video.

Here is 3 problem :

01- We need Series of Video tutorials about ScriptCanvas (Step to Step)

02-How to Import FBX/FBX-Animations for make Graph Nodes-Emotion FX Animations.with video tutorials (Step to Step)

03-How to Export Android Games with video tutorials(Step to Step)

Thanks @AhmadKarami - I’ve added this to our feedback list for further action :slight_smile:

After the recent update to Lumberyard v1.14, I decided to try the “Getting Started” tutorial located here:

https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/gettingstarted/

There are a few minor differences in file locations, but I managed to find the assets fairly easily. I didn’t run into any trouble until the short video on “Adding a Character Controller”.

After adding the PlayerSlice and CameraManager to the level, using ctrl-G to start up the level worked. However, my results were different than what is seen in the video. I end up with a fixed camera view from the location of the CameraManager.

I moved the CameraManager around until I could see the player model. This did allow me to verify that the player input was working – the player model reacted appropriately when turning, jumping, but it only displays the running animation when attempting to move. I did not see the view from the camera on the character model.

The PlayerSlice does have a camera. The camera appears to have the tags, “Camera” and “PlayerCamera”.

The CameraManager has the “InitialCameraTag” value set to “PlayerCamera” and the “PlayerCameraTag” set to “PlayerCamera” as well. hrm . . . the CameraManager script has the ‘ActiveCamTag’ set to “ActiveCamera”. Is the player camera set as the ‘active camera’?

I appear to have two cameras in the game. These are ‘named’ the “FlyCam” on the CameraManager and camera on the PlayerSlice. The camera on the PlayerSlice has the flag/boolean “Start Active” selected/checked. The “FlyCam” is also set to “Start Active”. Perhaps both are considered an “ActiveCamera” and it is using the FlyCam?

If I set “Start Active” to ‘false’ on the “FlyCam” and run the level, I do get the view from the player camera. =)

The movement on the model looks like it could use some adjusting. When I attempt moving the character (wasd) I do see the running animation, but the character doesn’t go anywhere. In addition, the running animation stops after about three steps. I guess the animation runs once and stops. The character model animates running, but does not go anywhere.

As important as a character controller is, perhaps at this stage of a ‘getting started’ tutorial a simple flying camera to look around the level might be more reliable. I will try and finish up the rest of the tutorials and maybe along the way this will be fixed and run properly. However, I expect a more advanced tutorial specifically for setting up and running character controllers would be more useful for diagnosing and correcting these problems.

Unfortunately, I didn’t get much further with the “Getting Started” tutorial. I ran into trouble on step IV. Creating Enemy AI, Setting the AI Trigger Area

The “NavigationArea” tool didn’t work for me.

In the next step, I found the directions a little confusing at first, because I was listening to the audio while working on it and the instructions were a little off.

V. Scripting and Physics

Adding the Timer (2:30)

How to get the timer to stop?

Like in the previous step, we will simply duplicate the “TimerStart”

parent entity, adjust some parameters, and then set the new trigger

where we want it.

In the outliner, select the “TimerParent” entity by clicking on it.

Right-Click and add a child entity.

Instead of duplicating the entity, they simply added a second child entity to handle the stop timer.

I finished the “Getting Started” Tutorial using Lumberyard v1.14 and with a few exceptions, everything went fairly well.

https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/gettingstarted/

Oddly enough, I think that once I put in the UI that starts the game and adjusted the camera settings, the game worked. When I played from the editor the level loaded and I had the camera view set for the start. Hitting any key switched to the character camera. Not only did I have the correct camera view, but the character controls, movement and animations all appeared to be working as intended. I was able to enter the maze – the doorway opened automatically. The timer was working. I picked up the collectible to open the exit and was able to complete the mission without any problems. Huzzah! =) When playing from the editor. :wink:

Unfortunately, going to the executable for the game, I was back to some of the previous problems I mentioned. The game started up and “hit any key to continue” didn’t appear to do much. The camera view did not switch and I was pretty much stuck.

Thanks for the good ideas to bring it. I know a lot more.

ufabet

เว็ปพนันบอลที่ดีที่สุด