Newbies

Let me first start off by saying that I’m excited to see how active this community is and also tell you a bit about myself.

I have an academic background in physics and mathematics. I am currently working professionally as an automation technician but have found myself looking more and more into game design as a skill set to build. When it comes to 3D design I have 3 years experience with Solidworks but that is about it.

Moving forward with Lumberyard I have decided to focus on unique environmental design as my starting point.

So basically I’ve watched tutorials on changing height maps, and just altering terrain in general. I’ve been going around capturing photos for textures to use on particular structures. I intend to design a city that I made inside of a DnD world I have previously created that has almost a Roman feel to it.

I am beyond ecstatic to try this engine out and see what I can accomplish with it, currently I am chomping at the bit though.

I currently do not have a machine with the capabilities to run lumberyard but hope to really pinch funds to get there by the end of 2017, but my ability to do so is still limited.

My current rig has been enough for sound engineering that I have been doing but when it comes to something like a gaming engine, it’s a no go. The OS and hardware is nearly 8 years old (Vista) if that gives you any idea as to what I’m dealing with. I’ll have to buy a whole new computer essentially.

But in the meantime I have been reading everything and watching everything I can.

If any of you have any contacts or just simply like talking and giving advice to new members of the community then I would love talking with you.

Amazon, I couldn’t thank you all enough for making Lumberyard, even though I have yet to use it, it’s become a bit of a beacon for me. I’m loving what you’re doing and with everything in me I am excited to become a part of the community as soon as I can.

Does anyone out there have any tips for someone new to the field?

Thanks for your time!

Anatoliy, thanks for the warm welcome.

I’ve looked into what I need, my background in using Solidworks really showed me the need to have a healthy and fast system.

I guess I’ll be waiting until prices drop around Christmas though.

Hi Bonsani_Sam, glad to see you in our community. :slight_smile: Yes good PC is a base of your works and if PC more faster its save your time and add to you more focus on the result.

Sam, my tip is “patience”. Lumberyard is new and constantly evolving. Simply figuring out how to do things can be a challenge. This may be especially true for you as you have no experience with an existing game engine. It seems the folks that are having the most success are experienced in other game engines. When they want to know how to do something in Lumberyard they have a reference from where they can begin their search.

Lumberyard also has several ways of accomplishing tasks. You can use their legacy visual scripting tool (flow graph) to add logic to your game. You can also use Lua script and even C++. It can be daunting to know when or if to use a given technique.

The documentation can be frustrating, as it can be thin, explaining on the very basics of a feature, but with no context. Again, this is an area where experienced game developers have an advantage.

Hang in there. Join the Slack community.