Open 3D Engine Announcement

Hello Lumbernauts!

Today we have a very exciting announcement to share with you and that is we are contributing an updated version of the Lumberyard code base as the original seed project to the Open 3D Foundation to launch the Open 3D Engine, (hereon referred to as O3DE)! It is an open source engine where users can access the source code for greater customization and share their own works with the O3DE community as well.

Currently, O3DE is in developer preview phase so we can collaborate with our partners and develop the engine to its fullest potential.

For more details on O3DE, check out our official announcement here Built for Builders: The Story of AWS and Open 3D Engine | AWS Game Tech Blog

Please join us on the new O3DE discussion board on GitHub to share your thoughts and questions, and say hi!

For documentations on O3DE visit our website at Open 3D Engine

For tutorial videos on O3DE visit our YouTube channel at Open 3D Engine - YouTube

Below is a list of frequently asked questions and answers.

Open 3D Engine (O3DE) FAQs

1. What is the Open 3D Engine (O3DE)?
  • O3DE is an open-source game and simulation real-time 3D development engine that gives developers an accelerated path to developing AAA-games and high-fidelity simulations without the burden of license fees or commercial terms. With a public launch later in 2021, O3DE will be a complete end-to-end development engine and will have over 30 development tools and authoring capabilities integrated into one application including:

1. High-fidelity multi-threaded forward+ renderer
    2. Real-time physics engine
    3. Data-driven node-based character animation system
    4. Computer Aided Design (CAD)-compatible asset processing pipeline
    5. Cloud-enabled visual scripting tool.
  1. What is the Open 3D Foundation?
  • The Open 3D Foundation will act as the governance body and host of open source collaboration tools for the O3DE project.
  1. What is Amazon’s involvement?
  • Amazon Web Services (AWS) is contributing an updated version of its Lumberyard gaming engine to the O3DE project and will continue developing new features for the engine alongside the community as a partner in the Open 3D Foundation.
  1. Why is Amazon open sourcing Lumberyard?
  • Releasing the next version of Lumberyard as the Open 3D Engine gives developers more control and flexibility over how they build their games. Open 3D Engine’s permissive Apache 2.0 license allows game creators to take full ownership over their projects, free from commercial obligations, and releasing the code under the governance of the Open 3D Foundation enables creators to collaborate on games and 3D technologies with the support of a community and partners, including AWS, who are committed to growing and advancing the engine.
  1. Which developers will be interested?
  • Large game studios that want to own their own engine, especially those with existing, successful IP. Also, as the open source community grows and provides a broader range of functionality and wider base of experienced developers, indie game studios will become interested. Moreover, developers across other industrial segments, including aeronautics, automotive, construction, energy, media and entertainment, supply chain, and retail who need an end-to end 3D development environment to build real-time simulations, will also be interested.
  1. How does it help developers?
  • With commercial 3D engines, developers pay recurring license fees and are subject to restrictive terms. Proprietary engines take years to develop and require large dedicated teams for ongoing maintenance. O3DE gives game and simulation developers tools to build high-fidelity experiences without restriction. These developers can collaborate with industry peers to pool knowledge and effort, while also having the ability to choose and exclude engine components in their 3D applications and games for genre or vertical-specific experiences.
  1. What will developers most like in the product at launch?
  • Developers will like that they have full control of the codebase, free from commercial obligations. They will also like that the engine is modular, with an architecture that makes it easy to build new components, customize systems, and integrate with community maintained Gems to add additional functionality to the engine. As part of the Open 3D Foundation, members of the O3DE community will like the ability to collaborate easily and participate in events and activities with partners working to further the advancement of 3D technology.
  1. How much does it cost?
  • O3DE is free under a permissive open source license, Apache 2.0, which is a well-understood permissive license that grants all the rights necessary for game developers and others to use the project without license restrictions.
  1. How does this product relate to/work with other AWS products?
  • O3DE integrates with a range of AWS services including (but not limited to) S3, Lambda, IoT Sitewise, Kinesis, Kinesis Video, CloudWatch, CloudTrail, Cognito, and GameLift through the AWS Gem, giving developers a single interface to utilize cloud compute and cloud data while creating 3D experiences.
  1. How does a developer get started?
  • Developers can access the developer preview of O3DE through GitHub at github.com/o3de or visit o3de.org to learn more about the engine.
  1. What kind of licensing is being used for O3DE?
  • O3DE uses Apache 2.0, which is a well-understood permissive license that grants all the rights necessary for game developers and others to use in any project, including commercial and non-commercial games and simulations. While we welcome contributions, users are NOT required to contribute code or publicly release the source code of their projects. Users can also choose to use O3DE under the MIT License, which is similarly permissive. Please note that the O3DE does use a number of third-party components, including components licensed under proprietary licenses and under limited copyleft licenses such as the LGPLv3.
  1. When can developers get access to O3DE?
  1. Can I use O3DE to build a game and launch it right now?
  • Developers can begin testing, evaluating, and using O3DE code in projects today. As we move towards our general availability release later in 2021, we plan to introduce additional tools and project management workflows for a wider range of roles, including animators, technical artists, level designers, and other content creators.
  1. Will AWS continue to support Lumberyard and its customers after moving to open source?
  • Lumberyard 1.28 is the last major version of Lumberyard. We encourage our customers to port over to O3DE where we will continue to adding new features and fixes alongside our other partners and the community. We will continue to support Lumberyard customers with active support agreements. For all other customers, we will provide minimal support for Lumberyard 1.28 with critical support fixes and encourage them to contact us with questions about adopting O3DE.
  1. Can I migrate my project from Lumberyard to O3DE?
  • It depends. While O3DE follows some architectural patterns from Lumberyard, the majority of the source code has been modified with an entirely new renderer, system libraries, and content format. The migration from Slices to Prefab, changes to Script Canvas, and the new build system may make it harder to migrate content directly from a Lumberyard project to an O3DE project. O3DE has been designed as a modular engine to make it easier to adopt specific parts of the code base depending on your needs, so the complexity of migrating from Lumberyard to O3DE will depend on your existing project. Some systems from Lumberyard have not yet been implemented in O3DE.
  1. What will happen to the Lumberyard Forums?
  • The Lumberyard Forums will remain open for questions, but our team will primarily focus on supporting the O3DE discussion forums on GitHub.
7 Likes

This is huge! Congrats everyone for this going live. Looking forward to checking out that new renderer and seeing what else has changed.

7 Likes

Hi I have a few questions. I have looked into this, and this is becoming the new LY if I am not mistaken right? 1.28 is the final release of the software under Amazon Lumberyard. I was also wondering, can I still use wwise LTX for lumberyard on the O3DE engine?

Hi @WashedUpStudios, wwise LTX is not supported for O3DE, for more info on how to enable the O3DE wwise Gem from GitHub you can visite Open 3D Engine .

1 Like

OK… It seems we have core components of the engine now that are proprietary and demand royalties? That seems to be the case for both WWise and the Kythera AI gems. If that’s how it’s going to be, I suspect O3DE will follow a similar trajectory to Lumberyard…

I do not believe so, components others add does not have to be on the same license, so Kythera AI gems can be any license that they want or not shared at all if the company wants to do so. This new engine just shows that there is more on the market for open source engines, you have godot which is open source and doing pretty well, but now you have O3DE which is fully 3d and also allows others to contribute or use it for their own engine if they so choose. I myself do not think O3DE can end up like Lumberyard because it does not have any limits that cannot be avoided by another adding their own or an open source version of whatever you need.

1 Like

Just wanna ask if lumberyard will not be continued anymore?

No Lumberyard will no longer be continued and LY 1.28 is going to be the last major release of it. There may be a few patches if bad bugs get found from developers still using it, but other than that all development is going towards O3DE.

O3DE remove a lot of stuff. Like rain and ocean. Will they return those gems?

Possibly, they were removed because the shaders were not compatible with the new renderer Atom, so for now there is not water shader that can be used. But in the future they have said that water is something that needs to be made, so after there is a water shader that can be used, then I believe an infinite ocean gem will come back. For the rain, and snow gems those may or may not come back, nobody has brought them up before, but I will bring up the topic and see where it goes. With the new Atom PostFX component this may be able to be made into something better than what was in LY.

I hope the time of day tool comes back.

1 Like

Thanks for info. This O3DE has really a potential to be anything. I could see that it could compete with blender in a few more years if it continues. But hopefully they focus on game engine related things. I just miss the rain gem. I always use that while editing environment.

I miss it to, and have put an issue in to hopefully get it back in time. I can see from what they are doing it is mostly pointed toward being a game engine. It just has the capabilities of being a cinematic engine but most if not all tools going towards other subjects would be added by a contributor since the Amazon team is focused on the game engine side for the future that I see.