problem exporting terrain with objects

We seem to be having a problem exporting terrain with objects in fbx form (bottom of terrain menu). Basically, we tested and it appeared to work but upon further invesigation discovered that vegetation
(e.g. rocks and ferns) seem to be exported at strange scales. The scale values match between editor and import into max, but the objects are clearly not the same. I think this is a scale issue. I went as far as exporting a block of terrain as an fbx, importing
into max then exporting back to compare in lumberyard. Brushes were correct, but vegetation did not match.

We were originally intending to use this to ensure our animation (in 3ds max) fit around the scenery and vegetation built in lumberyard, so any solution or workaround for this problem would be very welcome