Qt QML/C++ Development in Lumberyard

I’m new to Lumberyard development and currently working my way through tutorials. However, I was wondering if someone might be able to answer a question I have.

I have experience developing C++ & OpenGL applications and in the past have used Qt to create interfaces for these. My question:

• Is it possible to build an interface using QML/C++ using Qt and add those files to the Lumberyard Visual Studio solution and load that interface as part of the Game Engine (not just customising the Editor)?
  • If not, is it simply not possible, or just not covered by Amazon’s Qt distribution rights for Lumberyard? Or is it possible to change Lumberyard’s Visual Studio project to make this possible but it requires use of Qt separately under my own commercial/open source license?
    I appreciate that my questions are quite specific but any information would be very useful thanks!

Hi @Aitch,

Apologies for the delayed response. We only use Qt for creating the Editor UI and the UI for some of our tools. We don’t provide out-of-the-box support for rendering game UI with Qt widgets/components.

However, Lumberyard does come with a UI system that you can use to build your game’s UI. You can read more about it here:
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/userguide/ui-editor-intro.html

Additionally, Lumberyard does come with full access to source, so it could be possible to integrate a runtime Qt solution on your own.

Is there a specific feature set that Qt provides that you’d like to see in Lumberyard’s UI system?