Renaming (Multi) Materials Causes Crashes

I feel like renaming materials in the Material Editor shouldn’t be a difficult task for Lumberyard to handle; however, every time I rename some thing it has a seizure. At best, it sends me to other folders and materials after blinking my current material in and out of existence. At worst, it crashes the Editor. Anyone else having this issue, or know of a better way to rename materials that is more stable?

I am using Version 1.9.0.1, Build 398643 and renaming materials using the Material Editor inside of Lumberyard. I Right-Click > Rename on the material and as soon as I make the change the issue happens.

@Taylor

This is working for me, can you attach your material file and I’ll see if it crashes for me? Also, is it just one material or all materials? What happens if you were to create a new material in Lumberyard, and then rename it? Also, did you export this material from Maya or Max and then try to rename it in Lumberyard?

@Taylor

What version of Lumberyard are you using? How are you renaming the materials? Are you renaming them in Lumberyard or in Windows Explorer?

@Taylor

Thanks for the additional information. Unfortunately, I am still unable to reproduce this bug on my side. Can you do me a favor and attach one of your materials to the forums so that I can take a peek?

@BigMonet Sorry, I wasn’t specific enough. It’s my MULTI Materials that cause crashes. Renaming the overall material works fine, but renaming the materials inside the multi material causes the issue. And I tested it on another computer and the same thing happened.

@Taylor

Thanks for the .zip file. I was able to crash Lumberyard. I am going to test out all the sub-materials. But after a quick look, it appears to happen only when you rename a sub-material that is using the hair shader. I’ll report back in a few more minutes.

@Taylor

I was able to reproduce your issue. Thanks for reporting it, I have passed it on to our engineering team. The exact steps that cause the crash are:

1. Create new multi-material
  2. Add 7 or more sub-materials
  3. Rename fist sub-material
  4. Crash
    Until this is fixed, I suggest that if you need to rename the first material you edit the .mtl file by hand.

@BigMonet 4830-patchtest-materials.zip (2.28 KB)patchtest-materials.zip