Script Canvas "In" Variable Data Loss

Saving slices that contain a script canvas with “in” variables that do not have an override from the default selected on the component can cause the exposed variables to no longer exist in the slice through data loss. This means the variables cannot be changed from the component until the script is deleted off the entity and set up once more. When these variables are called on the script, the get null, which has wide reaching implications that are often game breaking.

I am now several versions updated in Lumberayard since the time of this post. This issue persists in my slices and is a big problem. Can anyone on the Lumberyard team let me know the progress on this issue? Is this reproducible in house? I can work with someone to find a reproducible case so it can be fixed.

What do you mean by this? I use variables all day, and nothing gets data loss not even the exposed variables I use for my character movement. I am not sure if it is the same, because when you say “in” variables, I do not understand what you are talking about.

Inside Script Canvas the wording used for variables exposed on the component was changed to “In” - so I was using their wording. You are correct though, I am talking about those types of variables. The data loss only occurs in saved dynamic slices where the default value was kept on the component.

2 Likes