Setting up the Unreal engine server SDK plugin, error message and warnings

Following this tutorial:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/gamelift/latest/developerguide/integration-engines-setup-unreal.html

Setting up the Unreal server SDK plugin, when I try to:

msbuild ALL_BUILD.vcxproj /p:Configuration=Release

I get the following errors:

“C:\Users\Administrator\Dropbox\AWS\GameLift_02_15_2018\GameLift-SDK-Release-3.2.1\GameLift-Cpp-ServerSDK-3.2.1\out\ALL
_BUILD.vcxproj” (default target) (1) ->
“C:\Users\Administrator\Dropbox\AWS\GameLift_02_15_2018\GameLift-SDK-Release-3.2.1\GameLift-Cpp-ServerSDK-3.2.1\out\aws
-cpp-sdk-gamelift-server.vcxproj” (default target) (3) ->
“C:\Users\Administrator\Dropbox\AWS\GameLift_02_15_2018\GameLift-SDK-Release-3.2.1\GameLift-Cpp-ServerSDK-3.2.1\out\thi
rdparty\sioclient.vcxproj” (default target) (6) ->
“C:\Users\Administrator\Dropbox\AWS\GameLift_02_15_2018\GameLift-SDK-Release-3.2.1\GameLift-Cpp-ServerSDK-3.2.1\out\thi
rdparty\boost.vcxproj” (default target) (7) ->
(CustomBuild target) ->
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(17
1,5): error MSB6006: “cmd.exe” exited with code 1. [C:\Users\Administrator\Dropbox\AWS\GameLift_02_15_2018\GameLift-SDK
-Release-3.2.1\GameLift-Cpp-ServerSDK-3.2.1\out\thirdparty\boost.vcxproj]
16 Warning(s)
1 Error(s)

I also get 16 warnings which look like this:

c:\users\administrator\dropbox\aws\gamelift_02_15_2018\gamelift-sdk-release-3.2.1\gamelift-cpp-serversdk-3.2.1\out\th
irdparty\protobuf\src\google\protobuf\map_field.cc(455): warning C4506: no definition for inline function ‘void *google
::protobuf::internal::GenericTypeHandlergoogle::protobuf::Message::GetMaybeArenaPointer(GenericType *)’ [C:\Users\Adm
inistrator\Dropbox\AWS\GameLift_02_15_2018\GameLift-SDK-Release-3.2.1\GameLift-Cpp-ServerSDK-3.2.1\out\thirdparty\proto
buf-prefix\src\protobuf-build\libprotobuf.vcxproj] [C:\Users\Administrator\Dropbox\AWS\GameLift_02_15_2018\GameLift-SDK
-Release-3.2.1\GameLift-Cpp-ServerSDK-3.2.1\out\thirdparty\protobuf.vcxproj]

Why?

The advice here doesn’t work:

https://forums.awsgametech.com/t/unreal-engine-server-build-error/2949/1

I have Visual C++ tools for Cmake installed.

I just deleted the SDK’s directory and started over, re-extracting is there and running through. Same error.

Is it because I’m using VS 15 2017 instead of VS 14 2015?

Yep, that was why. It’s working now. For anyone in the future with this problem, here’s how:

• opened Visual Studio Installer and modified both visual studio and visual studio build tools to have VC++ 2015 toolset
  • deleted the contents of the “out” folder
  • reran cmake -G “Visual Studio 14 2015 Win64” -DBUILD_FOR_UNREAL=1 …
  • reran msbuild ALL_BUILD.vcxproj /p:Configuration=Release
    • 34 warnings, but the server files are in the directories and others have received these and no errors so I assume it’s fine