[Solved in LY 1.25] How to get AI up and running with Script Canvas in Lumberyard?

Hi Everyone! I was wondering if anyone could explain in detail how I could get AI set up with Script Canvas for a secondary Character. For example : I have a character that I want to find a path to the main character and get there. Somewhat like a dinosaur trying to get to you to attack, but there may be trees in the way, so he needs to go around to get to you. I know there is a path tool for AI, and have already made a path that may or may not work. I just need some help figuring out how to set up the whole AI in Script Canvas. Thanks for reading to the end I hope you can help me, and I thank everyone for any help. :+1:

I reported this issue in the date ,18 may 2020 , you can read this topic (more details) :wink:

1 Like

Yes, I looked that over, and I cannot seem to get my character to move in a navigation area, all I get with the same scripts in your video is my character goes straight in the air. Does not move towards me, and all scripts look right so I cannot figure out what is wrong. I think the Navigation area.

Edit : I found the issue of going straight up was with a PhysX RigidBody. So no longer going up, but still no movement when in the navigation area. I hope you are not right about it being a bug :crossed_fingers: , But I know you are, so I guess I will have to wait unless someone has a way to get Script Canvas AI working.

if you saw this topic , I implemented Simple AI Enemies via Math Lib Script Canvas :blush: Please read all this topic :point_down:

You are right @WashedUpStudios :100: :white_check_mark: :slightly_smiling_face:

I suggested to lumberyard team , that make video tutorials about Find Path AI Script Canvas & Behavior Tree AI Script Canvas like Cover point/Crowd system… I’m sure, they working on AI issues… We must wait for great job lumberyard team , specially @JKingpin video tutorials designer :wink:

Hiya @WashedUpStudios, I recently converted the StarterGame BURT characters from Lua to ScriptCanvas and they now move around using PhysX Character components, navigation components and navigation areas in Lumberyard 1.25 so I recommend looking at the AIController script canvas. If you open the StarterGame project in the editor you can pop open the Script Canvas editor and load dev/Gems/StarterGame/Characters/Assets/ScriptCanvas/AIController.scriptcanvas

It’s a big graph but the navigation area has some comments and I can probably answer any other questions you have.

We also updated our navigation docs for 1.25

Nav component: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/userguide/component-navigation.html
Nav area: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/userguide/component-nav-area.html

Let me know if you see something is incorrect or missing.

2 Likes

Hi @petrocket,
This information is old (2wo links below in docs) :slightly_smiling_face: specially this shot! it is not for 1.25 (this shot is for 1.20 or 1.19, etc) :wink:

Thank you so much for this convert & new information about AIController :pray: :rose: I verify AIController.scriptcanvas file , then I publish my result :100: % :wink:

Thanks @_AhmadKarami, looks like you’re right about those screenshots, I’ve let the docs team know!

1 Like