I’m new to LY and in general to game design. I have a dream, it’s a multiplayer game, a mix of card game and turn based strategy. Something like Faeria. I’ve checked a number of LY tutorial videos, but all of them are about first/third person action set up and i think the design im interested in requires a bit different approach.
Based on my very basic understanding the game would consist of the following main components, assets:
- main menu
- set of smaller, hexgrid based maps (maybe option for random generation)
- card collection and deck builder/manager
- units: 3D characters with traits (played cards on the hexgrid)
- player session management? like storing state of all units during a match.
- online store
I need expert advice on the following topics, please. I know, many questions can be answered by getting to know LY, but if you got time, i would really appreciate your thoughts on one, some or all the questions.
- Do you think this kind of categorization fits game design and LY principles? If not how else would you create component/asset categories?
- How would you start designing, prototyping this kind of concept? Like start with menu, then create some maps to load, etc…
- Where would you put premade maps, which would be arbitrarily loaded for every match? Liek should all maps be in a level file?
- Where would the state of a match live? Like units, their status, position, interrelation on the map.
- What approach would you take to play/place a new character on the map?
- Anything you would like to share with me on this subject.