Support for streaming big maps

In the docs in mentions this:

MMO-ready

• Support for streaming big maps
    The largest map I can map is 4km x 4km in the editor, but I assume that you have some level streaming functionality so I searched the docs, but I can’t find any details on the technical side of this, or how to use it, or what the limitations are, so before I go searchign the source code for the implementation can someone provide some information, at least how it works and where to find this functionality.

If I can’t make a multiplayer world larger than 4km x 4km then I will not even begin to make a project with this engine.

Thanks

Are there plans to add streaming large maps as a feature in the future?

Bump that. It would be awesome to know if there will be a need to implement such feature.

I don’t think I was disrespectful, but if you feel that I was then i apologize.

Its just that (and I mean this with every respect). its very frustrating to receive bad support/no support.

I am sure you can appreciate that, I mean you had the time to delete my post and inform us not to be disrespectful, but I still have not received an answer to my original question, it’s launch day for you new engine, and this forum is not particularly busy, so I don’t know why that would be?

Hi @67003708,

When creating a new level you have the ability to make a heightmap up to 4096x4096, and a terrain texture with dimensions up to 16,384x16,384. This will result in a terrain size of 4096km x 4096km.

If this does no offer what you need, lumberyard gives you full source allowing you or your dev team to expand this to how you see fit.

Thanks

Since it’s based on CryEngine, you should be able to use layer streaming to stream geometry. While this wouldn’t break it into levels, per se, it would allow you the ability to load and unload content at runtime, presumably including terrain.

Can admins confirm?

You have failed to answer the questiona nd completely missed the point, in your own docs it says.

MMO-ready

• Support for streaming big maps
    What does that mean? How can anyone make an mmo or any kind of meaningful multiplayer game with 4km x 4km max world size?

Sorry but 4km x 4km is pitifull in size. How do you expect anyone to make an a multiplayer game with this?

Unreal has 20km x 20km terrain size by default and its possible to create large worlds with unity too.

I apologize, that was a typo on my part and the max map size is 4**.096km x 4.**096km. I forgot the ‘.’ in my numbers.

I apologize, that was a typo on my part. That, should be 4**.096km x 4.096km. I forgot the '.**’ in my values.

wait excuse me did you say 4000 KM? am I reading that right? 4096km x 4096km? not 4km? I guess you missed the decimal point?

How can anyone make a multiplayer game with 4km x 4km map size?

You have the same limitations as cry engine vanilla.

Whats the point of having an engine with a focus on multiplayer and including it in your marketing spiel, if your engine is only good for FPS shooters and single player games. That is really confusing.

“You can use it to host many different types of shared, connected, regularly-synchronized games including first-person shooters, survival & sandbox games, racing games, sports games, and MOBA (multiplayer Online Battlefield Arena) games.”

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/lumberyard-amazon-gamelift-twitch-for-games-on-aws/

GTA san andreas came out 2004 and had a bigger map than currently available in lumberjack.

http://www.themarysue.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Large-Video-Game-Worlds.jpg#geekosystem

I think that only works in single player.

Hey mate.

16 km squares is quite large. I don’t know what type of game you want to make but as an example

Skyrim “World Map” , you know, the whole Skyrim world, is around 14,8 km squares. Here

https://www.quora.com/How-large-is-Skyrims-overworld

Armored
Warfare that uses CryEngine, which is a Wargaming MMO has 15 vs 15 PvP matches all the time. By the way this means 30 tanks duking it out.

Even aircraft wargaming games or simulators I know (such as Ace COmbat series) actually has very normal sizes.

I hope that helps.

Thanks

I’d like to remind everyone to please be respectful of the staff when asking questions.

Skyrim is actually 23.81829 KM Squared and 14.8Miles Squared.

Skyrim is also a single player game and is backed by a commercial game developer and publishing company.

Armored Warfare is not an open world game mmo, it is more like counterstrike, where player face off on a map 10 v 10.

I’m not sure which Ace combat your refering to but a quick google search revealed the map on

ace combat 6 to be100km x 100km.

Please tell me again how 16km sqaured is enough for an open world mmo or even a survivial game like dayz, its not.

All those games you listed are backed by a commercial game developer and publishing company, and also 2 of them are single player. The only one that is multiplayer has rediculously small maps, and the players regularly complain about it.

Also Unreal has 20km x 20km map by default for multiplayer and single player maps can be practically infinite.

Jason, any chance of a reply to my original question?

A year ago, there was talk about the segmented World to create huge maps, but the technology was never shown

What are you talking about?

First of all, Archage bought full license to cryengie 2 and 3.

They either rewrote the engine to support large worlds or they used Segmented worlds which is available to full licence owners of cry engine 3, not lumberjack.

So you are expecting, indie developers to rewrite and engine that is already basically a rewrite of an existing engine just so that it has what I would term, (normal size maps), at least on par with unity and unreal.

You are not a game developer are you?

The engine should be more than capable of doing what you need with some modification. The ArcheAge MMO game is also built on CryEngine as is Lumberyard.