Support for wine

We’re currently running our game servers on EC2 linux instances and would like to transition over to Gamelift. How can I go about running our game server through wine on Gamelift instances?

Hello @glitchyme -

I think this is the first we have heard of a customer using Wine to run their games on our Linux servers - exciting! Not a Wine expert but, if you are already running your game on this setup with EC2 Linux instances then everything should “just work”. I think the approach would be to use an install.sh script in your build to install and configure Wine ahead of GameLift launching the .exe as part of the fleet creation process.

One thing to note - GameLift expects to interact with your game server process directly. If you have a shim process that then launches your game server (or many of them), GameLift will not properly manage the lifecycle of your game server processes.

With your existing setup are you running on Ubuntu or Amazon Linux?

Ty @MisterGameLift
I’m noticing what you mentioned here, “If you have a shim process that then launches your game server (or many of them), GameLift will not properly manage the lifecycle of your game server processes.”. This looks like a problem for using wine since I need a startup script to actually run the process. Is there a way around that?

On EC2 side we’re using Ubuntu Server to host our game. Its working pretty well so far, however Amazon Linux unfortunately has some issues with fetching wine from EPEL (will post more details when I get that solved). In the meantime I’m fetching the source and building wine as apart of the install script