[Tutorial Video] Basics of Motion 5 Part Series

Playlist Title : Basics of Motion
Version : BETA 1.19 (2019-06-11T07:00:00Z )
Host : @JKingpin and Chris Roby

Key Takeaways:

• work with input bindings
  • control & move a sphere around the level using Script Canvas
  • use PhysX impulse forces and kinematics to move your entity

Prerequisites :
Enable the following gems:

• Primitive Assets
  • PhysX
  • PhysX Debug
  • Script Canvas
  • Script Events
  • Script Canvas Diagnostic Library

Resources :
:green_book: Docs - Basics of Motion Tutorial Docs

Let me know what you think about the topic, the format, the presentation. I’m always looking to improve for what best serves the Lumberyard dev community. :smiley:

Thanks @Pip :pray:t4: for poking me to turn this into a playlist :video_camera:.

In terms of feedback, I actually prefer a more scripted and precise style of tutorial. A good example is actually the way the early Lumberyard tutorials were done, like this one. Those were rather brief, and could have used some more depth, but it’s the kind of style that I like.

I think there is a place for the more informal, conversational style of video, but that works better when it’s not exactly a tutorial, but more an interesting discussion with devs on how they might approach things. For nitty gritty tutorials, I prefer the more focused, dry style, rather like the video equivalent of documentation. When I’m just trying to understand something, I find that trying to extract the information I need from a conversational style of video can be quite frustrating.

Just my two cents.

Really appreciate your feedback. I’ve had similar feedback from others who mention it’s tough to follow along.
It’s a constant tug of war, but I’m happy to switch it up and see how they help and engage.
For me it’s all about making something that will help people do the thing they set out to do.

1 Like

Yes, I expect a big part of your role is to find ways to build engagement, and I can see how the more social style of video is appealing in that regard. One possibility that occurs to me is a sort of mixed approach. So, you might pick an area of interest, then sit down with a dev to show and discuss what they’ve built, and how they did it, as more of an overview. But then, follow that up with a series of the more scripted and direct instructional videos to clearly teach the steps involved in what they did.

I think that might work really well.

Thank you for the new tutorial.

I much preferred this more direct instructional style, with a clear focus on what you’re doing on screen. :+1:

1 Like